Let The Break Begin

Katniss's P.O.V.

Today is the last day of school before Thanksgiving break. I'm actually can't wait to go adventuring with my friends. All my stuff is ready to go, all I need is the bell to ring so I can go have fun. 30 minutes later the bell rings and Thanksgiving break has officially started. I won't need anything from school so I leave my backpack in my locker.

"Katniss you ready?" Clove asks.

"Yep."

I go out with her but then go get my stuff from my car.

"So are we just going to leave our cars here?" Marvel asks.

"Why not? Nothing is going to happen." I say.

Once everyone has put their gear and other such things in Clove's trunk we all pile in. I'm in shotgun and the boys are in the back.

"Clove did you check the weather forecast?" I ask.

"Yeah. It's supposed to be mostly sunny and some days will be partly cloudy."

"So yet again, I'm stuck back here!!? With TWO other people!!?" Cato complains.

"Cato stop whining. It's only an hour and a half. We aren't even out of the parking lot." I say.

"Gale you're on my foot. Could you move over?" Marvel says.

Gale moves and Cato is still complaining. I drone out to the sound of the engine, the roaring lion of an engine. It's much louder than my car. But it's a 1983 Mazda RX-7, therefore it's louder because it's older. The scenery is beautiful as we drive up to our destination. The guys talk in the back but Clove and I don't really. She is focused on not killing us and watching the road. I get a text from my mother telling me to have fun.

"Who ya texting Kat?" Cato asks.

"No one." I say.

It's about 3:35 when we reach the trail head. We get out and take all the things well need for the 4 days we'll be backpacking.

"This is going to be awesome." Marvel says.

"Yeah it will." Gale says.

"Cato you get to take the tents." Clove says.

"But I-"

"I swear to God Cato, if you keep complaining, I'll make you carry everything." I say. He shuts up.

"Let's go guys!" Gale says.

"We should go before it gets too dark." Marvel says.

Clove shuts the trunk and locks all the doors and windows. Our Thanksgiving break Backpacking trip has began.

The smell of the forest is very nice. Birds chirp and animals chatter. So many things grow here that I've never really seen or at least I don't remember seeing them. Everything is so beautiful.

"Having fun yet Katniss?" Gale asks.

"Yeah, actually I am." I say.

"Well that's good." Clove says.

We keep hiking for about 1 more hour and then we take a break. I sit on a stump and pull out my water bottle.

"Should we go on after this or just stay here for the night?" Clove asks.

"I'm down to keep going." Cato says.

"Maybe we should stay." I say.

"Come on Kat, it won't hurt to go a bit further." Marvel says.

"Well I'm just tired. But I guess we could go a bit more."

"Well then let's go. I know a great place to see the sunset." Clove says.

I put my water bottle in my backpack and stand up. We all get going to the spot that Clove wants us to see. It doesn't take to long to get there but it's worth it. The mixture of colors over the forest makes nature seem so much more breath taking. The pink and orange and yellow and a bit of purple are so pretty.

"We should camp here." I say still mesmerized by the sunset.

"Yeah. Cato and Gale set up our tents." Clove says. They go start pitching our tents.

"You girls hungry?" Marvel asks.

"I could eat." Clove says.

"Same with me." I say.

"I'll start a fire." He says and goes to get wood.

"Hey we should sleep under the stars." I say.

"Yeah!! That could be fun!"

"Great. I  brought 2 hammocks." I say.

"Want help setting them up?"

"Yeah sure. That'd be great." I say.

I take my backpack off and open it. I take out the hammocks and hand one to her. We pick trees that are close to each other and set them up. Marvel has made a small fire pit and Cato and Gale have both tents up.

"We all have one tent so if you two get cold the other one is for you guys." Gale says.

"Hey Cato do you have the matches?" Marvel asks.

"Oh yeah they are in they're in my bag."

"What do you guys want to eat?" Gale asks us.

"Just whatever I guess." I say.

Marvel has the fire going and Cato has our roasters for marshmallows and hot dogs. Clove sits on my left side and Marvel on my right.

"Thanks for inviting me with you guys." I say.

"It wouldn't have been fun without you." Clove says and hugs me. I think I'm my old self again almost. After finishing eating we make sure that everything is put away before we go to bed. Clove and I set up our tent increase in the night we get cold. The light in the guys tent goes off and they quite down.

"Night Clove. Night Katniss." Gale says.

"Night boys." We both say.

I turn off my flashlight and get in my hammock.

"Night Clove." I say.

"Night Katniss."

I get comfortable in my hammock. I can see the starts shinning down on us. It's so nice to be up here. The sounds of the forest puts me to sleep.

WOW it's been a while since I updated SOS. But I hope you liked it!!! Lots of love! zeffie ❤️❤️

Word count is 981