I Miss You

In Loving Memory Of Katniss Everdeen.

Prim's P.O.V
This probably has to be the worst day of my life. I lost my sister a few days ago. Now I have to keep it together at her viewing. She looks so pretty. Flowers strung in her curled hair. Her makeup is very minimal but she still looks nice. Her maroon dress and black heals. Her small diamond studded earrings. A pearl necklace. And the promise ring Peeta gave her. She looks as if she is just going out. Not dead. I'm surprised at how many people came. Sure I knew her friends and our family would. But her principal came and some kids in her grade came too. My mother is taking this the hardest. She was the last person to see her actually alive. I hold her hand and squeeze it when I feel like crying. She does the same. Clove hugs us both for a long time.

"I wish I would've gotten there sooner. I'm sorry." She says.

"It's alright Clove. It wasn't your fault." My mom says.

"It's know but I ....I'm sorry."

"Do you think you can do this?" I ask.

"I think so."

"Thank you Clove." Mom says.

"No problem." She says.

More and more people come to see my sister, lying in a casket all beautified. A lot of people say, 'At least she's in a better place.' I don't know really if that's true. But if so, that's good for her. But I just hate hearing it. It's not helping me today.

Peeta's P.O.V
I feel awful going to Katniss's viewing. Her death was my fault. I should've stood up for how I  felt about her that night. Dumped Glimmer then and there. Now it's too late. She's gone. And I miss her. We never went out on a date. Never kissed again. If I would've known that that kiss would be our first and last, I would've kissed her longer. She looks to be just asleep. I try to get myself to just think that. But I know deep down....she's dead. She still has the promise ring I gave her. That makes me feel a bit better inside. But not by much. Her mom and sister must hate me now. I was the main cause of her death.

"I'm so very sorry. I did this." I say.

"Don't say that. You didn't do anything. She just didn't know how to handle love really." Prim says.

"I should've made sure she was okay. Then you'd still have a sister and you'd still have a daughter." I say.

"Oh Peeta," Mrs. Everdeen says.

She hugs me. I feel like bawling, but I just let tears fall.

"Will you be able to do this later?" Prim asks.

"I will."

I look over to Katniss. I so very badly want to see her chest rise and fall. Know that she's still breathing and still here on earth. I want to see her color come back.

"I'm so sorry Katniss. I really am."