Chapter 2: Turn 3

Marissa. Tanaka was looking out a window one afternoon, which captured the wonderful scene of snow-covered trees. I wonder... if she ever looks back at that boyfriend she used to have... and all those other friends... and comes to the crazy conclusion that she took them for granted.

     Wind spiraled through the branches outside. Charlie added to the noise by stirring a bowl with Jonah, which was proving to be ineffective. Ms. Henderson would've been laughing up a storm, if she hadn't also disappeared recently. The Cooking Club had suddenly become quieter overall, despite its increase in school-wide popularity. 

     If that's the case... then I'd want her to get that toxic thought out of her system. Taking someone for granted back then may have sucked, but it ultimately wasn't the cause of losing them, and sulking over it certainly won't bring anyone back. Just be happy... and be yourself. Cry if you need to. Cry for those you are currently drifting distant from... and just, yes- Just be sure that next time, you'll cherish people you've a good connection with. But for now- For now... just be happy. 

     Tanaka's unfocused gaze grew, his eyes widening. 

     I know, I'm actually talking more to myself now than thinking up a clever monologue to spout out to Marissa. I guess I feel as though I took Nora for granted. And I just wanna be able to tell myself to, 'just be happy and be yourself.' Like my old man always said... relationships end, and friendships drift apart... due to life. And if you wanna be sad about it, then you very well can be! But there's so much in this life you can do. There are so many ways you can be productive and reach out to the world. And just always remember to do what you always did- 'And there she'll come. There she'll be. She'll always be there. The girl of my dreams.' In the meantime, do what you can, and find comfort in knowing that what you're doing is enough. And yet... these wise words mean nothing to my heart. I hope... Marissa is alright. I don't want to lose... another fucking friend!

     "So, Tanaka! Good afternoon!" The powerful aura of Marian Theodora could be felt, as the girl wrung her arm around Tanaka's neck. 

     Surprisingly, this girl went to her male friend in an excited, attracted manner. The red-headed beauty had been usually modest about her friendship with Tanaka, or so it seemed. They would always walk down city sidewalks, and she'd smile a warm smirk as Tanaka would talk about things. 

     Now, however, she couldn't hold back that she had missed her friend. The Thursday afternoon shined bright for these two youths! 

     "Whoa! Hi there!" Tanaka's face went red. "I see you're back at school now. We were missin' you the other day. You know, when you were having your little mission with Marissa, anyway."

     "Mhm. So, how've you been keeping up with your driving?" 

     "Pretty good. Ajax is the place to be, it seems. I've been studying every Tuesday through Friday, and then participating in those derbies like the one me and you did in the forest that one night." 

     "Nice! And, yeah... Ajax is where I grew up, so." 

     "Oh, really? How'd you like it?" Tanaka shuffled awkwardly in his black coat. I wanna ask her how Marissa is doing, but I also don't wanna be annoying about it.

     "It... used to have a lot of furniture stores for some reason. And they were always perfumed pretty well. You remember when we went to the Café Merlot with Charlie and everyone, yeah?"

     "Yeah? I think? The Cafe Merlot. Hm. Was that the one where the owner had an extremely deep voice? And said his name was-" 

     "Yeah! Exactly. Anyway, those furniture stores smelled a lot like that. I guess that café has really grown on me." 

     "Yeah, but we've only been there once. I guess that restaurant has something in it for everyone, though." Tanaka stretched in place. 

     "Hey, everyone! I just made the most amazing thing!" Charlie started dancing about in the cooking club's room, as Kevin was strangely fiddling on his phone for some reason. 

     "What is it, Charlie-Poo?" One of the random newcomers of the club asked. 

      Charlie held up a white plate high in the air. "I call it... Death By Chocolate! Also, don't be calling me 'Charlie-Poo' again, kay, sweetie? I'll bite your fucking face off. Thanks!"     

____________