Chapter 3: Turn 3

"I wonder... what is that supposed to mean?" Tanaka sighed as he drove off to the Hinge Corporate building, maneuvering softly the roads of Ajax. "When you say that you might not make it back."

    "You're actually a really great guy, Cravius. Despite how we've come to first meet you." Marian's face contorted, a tear dripping. "What do you mean... when you say, that you won't be coming back?" 

    "I mean that -- well -- the Inquisitor is known to have his arsenal. He has... Apricot-Enderbite on his side. Meanwhile... I was never as good at combat as that frost-haired freak was. He was always something else, let me tell ya. All I have is this crummy old knife. It's not even mine. I found it once I became homeless after Inquisitor estranged me." 

    "That's sad." Tanaka blushed quickly. "For the Inquisitor that is! It's sad! It's sad... that there's someone like that in this world, you know? Yeah. Nice save. Someone so low that they just force people out like that." 

    "Indeed that was a nice save, kid." Cravius exhaled a low chuckle as he looked out the window of the passenger seat, admiring the view of Ajax- the trees that hugged the sides of the roads, the blue sky which was now a nice blank canvas, and the houses of subdivisions which lay among the nature of it all. "If he refuses to fight me, which he just might... then I'll have to face that yellow-eyed demon of a kid- er, young adult." 

    "Nonsense. If he plays dirty and cowardly then so should you! Just run away, man."

    "Tanaka... no. Running away isn't dirty. That's not how I do things and that's not how I'm going to start doing things. You see... the unnamed organization we had going for ourselves was quite amazing. But now, it's starting to crumble. You see... I'm -- of course -- having my doubts. I'm having my doubts about this dream. I've been doubting this dream of mine for quite some time. I don't think the world that the Inquisitor had in mind is really possible. Then again... what do I know? But I know that he started this project with such zeal. And now, ever since Cuprite... slowly but surely... things have gone downhill." 

    "Now, tell me about this Cuprite person. What was he all about?" Tanaka curled his lips around.

    "Well... he's a person who managed to rally up all the women in the syndicate. Granted, there were only ever two. However, including him... that makes three people who left the syndicate. And once those guys are gone, then you're left with only me and Apricot-Enderbite."

    "Rallied up the women? How did he do that?" Marian raised an eyebrow as she sat in the backseat. 

    "That... I could not tell you. Like, I actually don't know." sighed Cravius. "The only thing that makes sense about the whole thing, is that the agent Rouge-Adakite had a very busy other-job besides being a part of this project. So, one day... I think that girl just couldn't take it anymore. And Cuprite awakened that within her. Got Rouge-Adakite to leave."

____________