Chapter 2: Turn 5

"I'm going to call role, before this meeting is adjourned. I, William Ambience, am here. Hm, I'm always here. Ha. Ha." Clearing his throat, Sir William laughed, then proceeded to look down at a piece of yellow parchment. "Charles Gillborie... is also present. Would third-in-command, Othello Hanson, please rise?"

    In the distance of the many steps that made up the ballroom, a man with dark skin and carpeted hair rose. 

    "Excellent. Now, fifth-in-command, Anna Donahue, please rise? Such a doll you are, Anna. You hide your gorgeous figure in such unfitting clothes. Don't waste your beauty away on being drab. Natives from my country would kill to look like you, honestly. Perhaps this is just me conducting sexual harassment in the workplace, though, but I absolutely adore your eyes." 

    There came the rising of a young woman who had an eye-patch, and brown hair bundled into a ponytail. She scowled, shaking some, then sitting back down. Her chair screeched as she pushed herself back into the table, the dark oak howling.  

    "Hmph. I swear, women just don't know how to take compliments these days. It's hard being a winner like me. Lastly," Sir William nodded. "sixth-in-command, Sir Gawain Jacobs. Ah, I like the fierce look you're giving me right now." 

    And from among the crowd stood a very young man who had quite the odd hair-style. Then again, every member, who considered themselves some sort of 'in-command' person, was quite their own crayon. Diversity among the chains of command was a common sort in the year 2069

    "We might be from the same country, Ambiance, but I hate your guts. I'll never trust you." Sir Gawain made a facial tick at Sir William. 

    "Ah, nonsense. What's there to hate about me? I'm just doing my job. Would you really want that shitty McCoy running things, really? It's a good thing he doesn't know about this. About us. And it's a real shame that we don't have a fourth-in-command, yet none of you who are below the ranks could ever hope to climb up to it." 

    "What is that supposed to mean?" Sir Gawain glared. 

    "Hmph. It means that no matter how hard you try, Gawain, sometimes you just can't get to my level of expertise and high-society. Do you understand the words which are emanating from my mouth? You're sixth-in-command... for a reason. I think the only one who people should be careful with their trust around... is you! Ah, but I'm not throwing slander- I'm not going to do that. No, no. I'm simply telling the truth. Now, you can either hate me, or you can love me. Your choice, but not your consequences... right? You can make whatever decision you want, and it seems that I'll pay the brunt for it. I plan to, in any case... once we figure out how to get Mr. McCoy off the map." 

____________