Chapter 3: Turn 3 [Breaking The Third Wall, Again]

"So, what else about this story seems to go to your liking, Ivory?" Mr. Miguel ran his forefinger  around a glass of wine he had, quite suddenly, procured.

    "Well," The white-shirted Junior Detective took a breathy stretch. "as I've said before, the themes running throughout this story are... powerful. One could say, anyway. There's quite a lot of dialogue throughout it, though. That may kill it for some people, if not a lot. However, my favorite part so far, has to be the battle between -- not good or evil -- but Modern Man and Archaic Man. The Inquisitor, as he calls himself, has a romanticized view of the 'good old days'. He's an antithesis to... perhaps... you, Miguel." 

    "Oh? Oh my, I'm shivering in my boots, as the English say." 

    "It's, 'quivering'. The phrase is, 'I'm quivering in my boots'. In any case, the thematic overtaking seems to place itself on the distinct platform of 'driving'. Why pick driving, do you think? Why would the writers of this story pick driving as the setting for the fight between modern and archaic philosophies?" 

    "Well... hm. From one angle, they didn't have cars in archaic times. Thus, the Inquisitor is against driving and wishes to forsake it, while the rest of the protagonists are for driving, as they represent modernity."

    "The case for that is simple, yes. You're right there, however, why is it... that not all of the antagonists are against driving? Forget about Todd Grayson's ambivalent character development... why is it that we see Cyan-Diorite driving around as he approaches Apricot-Enderbite, Rouge-Adakite, and Todd... earlier in this volume? In the last volume, he's even seen racing against Tanaka! Not only does he simply race against him, but he's shown to be a far more advanced driver, as we see Tanaka ends up crashing into... your backyard. Might I add, that's one weird backyard to be connected to a whole other county, Miguel." 

    "It was an interesting scene, that was. The night when Tanaka had stumbled into his own professor's backyard, and come upon the cave which sat among it. I don't seem like a man who comes from a lot of money, I've been told. You do, Ivory. I, however, seem like an independent type. I come from my own money, and... it was awkward for me as well when that happened, trust me. Damages are... awkward." The Hispanic professor drank from the glass of wine, the skin under his eyes sagging some.

    "Mhm. If there's another element to the story thus far that I enjoy, as well, it's the subtle hints being dropped regarding everyone's name. They're very, very, very brief. They belong exclusively to their own scenes, not carrying over much." Ivory smiled as he took a bite from a chocolate bar he had had on a confetti-tiled, round desk. 

    "It's easily a plot-point that the reader could miss though, couldn't they?" 

    "Well, yes and no." Ivory yawned. "If they're engaged enough, I imagine they won't be in the market to miss it. However, what may be a strong turn-off for certain readers of this story... is all of the dialogue! Again, this piece of literature seems to practically pride itself on the fact that there's so much talking." 

    "Is that really a problem? Also, stop eating chocolate and come drink some wine with me. It's a Hispanic tradition in my family to throw away your carb-heavy chocolade and get... fucking hammered." 

    "Well, the dialogue isn't a problem in of itself, but it makes quite the interesting statement. It's almost as though the writers of this book thought they would be making a play, but bogged out at the last second." 

    "Bogged? I think you mean 'copped out'." Mr. Miguel chuckled, setting his wine down on a nearby chair, which was flat enough. "The phrase you're looking for is, 'copped out', little señor. Then again, you're not so little anymore... are you?" 

____________