Chapter 3: Turn 4

"I wonder how Nora will say goodbye." Todd marveled at his black gloves. "Well, I guess I should get out of this suit, seeing as how I'm not an agent for that unnamed organization anymore."

    Todd looked up at the sky. Trees and houses of neighborhoods surrounded him on all sides. There was a marvelous breeze in the air that was a tad chilling but it didn't bother the young man. 

    He sat amongst the bench which faced a huge parking lot in front of the Café Merlot. Lights. Fragrances. Vines crawling up the sides of buildings. The parking lot that once housed many cars was now a docking port for buses and other public commodities. White lines that once were only shortly extended were now longer for the wide turning radii of buses and business-trucks. After all, Little Japan had since decided they didn't need the use of cars anymore. 

    "But then..." Todd's left eyebrow raised itself. "... now that the organization is gone, now that anti-driving mantra can't travel across to the other parts of Canada... I wonder how long- how long will it be before driving comes back to this place? Before people can once again enjoy the freedom and independence of owning their own vehicles? For a lot of people, I imagine, it'd be the very first time. It'd be an eye-opening revolution for so many youths. It'd be an... awakening." 

    Todd was alone. The sky was dark, the weather was mild, and Todd sat alone by himself. He had not wished to go with Nora to say goodbye to the recent friends she had made at Eddington Academy. Yet, he felt a pang in his stomach as he sat there, solitude capturing him in the vacant parking lot. 

    It was enough to make anyone feel alone. Lonely. It was the kind of feeling one gets when they strut around to get somewhere, yet find themselves having to strut through a middle area first. It was the kind of feeling most people shrug off and is usually replaced by something else.

    "Should I go help Nora say goodbye to her friends? I wonder if they meant that much to her." 

    After all, quite the amount of minutes had passed. The sky seemed to turn darker right before one's eyes. The clouds were carrying the sun away for the evening. Carrying it away into its casket which fell below the Earth, away from the pondering visions of anyone's bemusement. 

____________