Tim's New Mom

(Seán's P.O.V.)

It's just a normal day of my hanging out at a café playing video games on my laptop. I mean, I do other things but for the morning at least that's all I do. After all, this is one of the only days I have off of work, so I should use it right? I sigh, staring at the board with all the menu items on it as I wait patiently in line. Normally I just get black coffee, but I might get something else today...

"Cupcakes!!!" I hear a small child scream and I then I feel something hit my leg with great force. I stumble forwards a bit, chuckling as I turn around to see a small child on the ground, frowning and probably trying to figure out how he got there. 

"Tim! Say you're sorry right now!" I hear a stern voice and look up to see a man about my age walking towards us. He looks both embarrassed and upset, but I just smile (and not cause he's hot). 

"No! No! It's fine! I love kids." I say, kneeling down so I'm the kid, Tim's, height. "Hey there. Did you get excited when you saw the cupcakes?" I ask and he nods, back to his undoubtedly bright cheery self. 

"Yeah! I love cupcakes!!" He shouts and I laugh, holding up my hand for a high five. He hits my hand weakly, but I don't say anything.

"Me too!" I say back, before standing and looking at who I'm assuming is the father. I hold out my hand and he shakes it. "I'm Seán."

"Mark. And this is Tim, my son." He says, proving my assumption right. My smile widens more as I look down at the little kid again, who is now holding his fathers hand. 

"How old are ya?" I ask with a smile and he smiles too, holding up his hand with five fingers. "Five years old? But you look so much older!" I say, lifting him up and making him laugh. "I think I'm in love with your son already." I state, looking over at Mark who is laughing at our antics. The next couple minutes of standing in line is just Tim and I goofing around and making funny faces, with Mark standing there laughing at us. 

And then we order our drinks and a cupcake for Tim, and then we go and sit at a three person table. And I can't help myself from asking.

"Is your mom not joining you?" I ask Tim, and immediately it seems the mood gets somber. Tim's smile falls and I know I made a mistake.

"Momma is gone..." He says quietly, and I frown, looking at Mark.

"Gone?"

He nods, frowning as well. "She died before Tim turned two. Pancreatic cancer." He says softly, putting an arm around Tim and I feel horrible.

"I'm so sorry." I say and he shrugs. 

"It was almost four years ago now. Of course we still think of her, and we visit her grave on holidays but we've moved on." He says, smiling slightly and I nod, looking back at Tim. 

"Well, I'm sorry I made everyone sad..." I say, and they both shrug. It's silent for a second as Tim eats and Mark just stares at his son, who I really have grown to love already. Doesn't help that Tim has the hottest dad ever. "Hey, do you guys like video games?" 

Tim's eyes seem to pop out of his head, and he grins, nodding wildly. I laugh as Mark also laughs, a sound that makes my heart flutter. And so then we just sit there at that table, joking, laughing, getting to know each other, and playing video games.

***

Meeting with Mark and Tim became a regular thing. We would always meet at the café and sometimes we'd even meet outside of the café too. We'd go to a park, or a mall, or just somewhere where we could all hang out. And it's been fun. I've basically adopted Tim as my child as well, and Mark and I have practically become best friends. 

After all, it's been a whole five months since we met. And today is a very special day. A very, very special day. Because today, is Tim's sixth birthday. And Mark and I decided to meet at an outdoor mall, since there's a restaurant, a play place, and some shops. I showed up early (about twenty minutes ago), because I wanted to make sure I was here when they showed up. 

And sure enough, my two favorite people in the whole world show up, smiling and waving when they see me sitting by the fountain. Tim runs over to me, wearing a plastic crown that Mark undoubtedly got him. The poor kid is spoiled...

"Hey! There's the birthday boy!" I yell, picking up Tim as soon as he runs close enough to me. He squeals and starts kicking, trying to get out of my grip as I spin him around. And we just spin around, laughing and laughing. 

"Put me down!" He yells, and I of course comply. I put him down on the ground and I smile, looking him in the eyes. 

"Have you had a good birthday so far?" I ask and he nods wildly, listing all the things he's gotten from Mark so far today. And as he talks I look up at Mark, who is just smiling down at his little boy. God Mark is beautiful... Wait, what? No, no, I know Mark is bi, but no. I am not gonna let my crush take over this day. This day is about Tim, and Tim only. Alright...

"And that's it!" I hear Tim finally finish and I smile, looking back at him.

"Wonderful! Well, I didn't know what you'd want, so when we look around today if you want something ask for it and I'll get it, alright?"  I say, winking and he gasps, as if that's the best thing he's gotten today. 

"Thank you Seán!" He says, wrapping his arms around my neck and I wrap my arms around his small body as well. 

"You're welcome Tim." I say and Mark chuckles, shaking his head at us. 

"Well, I'm gonna go put our names on the list for the restaurant. I'll be back in a minute." He says and I nod, giving him a thumbs up while Tim just says a quick "okay". And then, as soon as Mark has walked away, Tim pulls away from the hug and looks at me.

"Seán I have something to tell you!" He says and I raise an eyebrow, curious. 

"Oh? What do you have to tell me?" I ask, incredibly curious. He starts dancing around and talking at the same time, obviously excited about what he's saying.

"Well, I was talking to Dad and I asked him if you could be my new mom and he said he would like that!" He says and my face goes completely red, my head blanking as I process what the six year old just said. I stare off into space as Tim keeps talking, now talking about some other thing he's excited about. 

Mark likes me? Mark would be fine with me raising his kid with him? He wants me to even? Holy hell... I mean, I have no clue how to approach this but, holy hell. I would definitely like that too; I love Tim and I love Mark. But what do I do to make him know that? 

"Uh, Seán?" I suddenly hear his voice and I shake my head a bit, looking at Mark who looks at me with concern, same as Tim. "You okay?" He asks then and I can't help the smirk that appears on my face as I stand up.

"Yeah. You know Mark..." I stop, putting my hand on Tim's shoulder. "Tim here just told me some very interesting news..." I say, and Tim looks a little scared, as if he's in trouble. But I just wink and that seems to calm him down. Mark frowns, incredibly concerned.

"Um... What news?" He asks, and I glance up at the older male. 

"That you would be fine with me being Tim's new mom." I smirk and Mark's face goes as red as his hair was before he re-dyed it. He stutters, and I just chuckle, shaking my head as I put my hand around his neck. "Just kiss me, dammit." 

And with that I put my lips to his, and he kisses me back in an instant. However the sweet moment is interrupted by a very loud, childish, and excited squeal. The two of us immediately pull away to see Tim jumping up and down, a giant grin on his face.

"Seán is my new mom! Best birthday present EVER!" He screams and Mark and I laugh, holding hands as we kneel down to Tim's height. 

"I'll just be another dad Tim." I say and he frowns, his jumping stopping. 

"So, I'd have two dads?" He asks and we both nod. However he just smiles and shakes his head. "Nope! I like Seán being my mom instead!" 

And we laugh, all three of us, as we pull Tim in for a hug and I look at Mark, who smiles at me with that gorgeous smile and I just take in my new family. My brand new, happy family. How lucky am I?