chapter 16

yayyy next chapter(: double update bc of 100+ reads😉

*************************

I stared at my black converse as I walked down the sidewalk. I missed walking with Hayes. I know it's going to be silent between us. Completely silent.

I was wrong. Two hands covered my eyes. They were big hands. I turned around and saw Hayes standing there. Relief just brushed over my body.

It actually wasn't as awkward and silent as I thought. We talked like best friends, like nothing ever happened. I liked it this way.

But I still missed the way it used to be.

At school I walked into homeroom and Rachael came up to me. "Hey Rachael" I said and she sat down next to me.

"What happened with you and Hayes?" She asked worried.

"I-I don't want to talk about it right now" I said quietly.

She quickly changed the topic and we decided to hang out today after school.

School blew by. Hayes and I hung out during classes and it was like nothing was wrong. Except we didn't hold hands or hug or anything.

I missed that.

Rachael and I walked home together. To be honest I wasn't really paying much attention. I was to busy thinking about Hayes.

"Charlotte!" She said snapping my out if my thoughts.

"Gosh your so distracted! Stop thinking about Hayes!" She said nudging me. I blushed. I remember when I used to blush when I was with Hayes.

"If you still like him tell him" she said. That's true. I probably should. But when?

My phone went off alerting me that I had a text message.

Nashty: hey Charlotte! My mom was wondering if you could babysit Skylynn this Friday at 5?

Thank The Lord.

Now I have an excuse to see and talk to Hayes.

TIME SKIP TO FRIDAY

I rushed home from school. Hayes and I have been walking to school together, but I feel like we have been growing apart. We've talked less and less at school. And I want to be at least friends. Best friends.

I did some homework, but kept a few worksheets to do at Hayes house incase he wasn't there. It was kind of cold out, so I put on black leggings, moccasins, and a loose long sleeve shirt.

I put my worksheets in a folder, grabbed my phone and a charger and headed downstairs. Brooke was here in the couch with nash. I think they're dating. I'm pretty sure. Yeah they have to be. They've been spending time together day in and day out.

I knocked on Hayes door and his mother answered. She greeted me with a friendly smile and I followed her into the kitchen where Skylynn was eating mac and cheese with dinosaur chicken nuggets.

"Hi Charlotte!" She said really cheery.

"Hi Skylynn" I said back and sat down next to her at the counter.

"Ok Charlotte were coming back a little late tonight like 12:30-1:00. But your welcome to sleepover if you don't want to get home so late" she said sweetly.

"Uh yeah sure thanks" I said back. It would be kinda awkward if I slept over wouldn't it?

She scurried out the door with her husband and I took a seat next to Skylynn. "Is Hayes still your boyfriend?" She asked. I felt so empty.