Daddy's Consent and The Unexpected

(Gavin's POV)

While Jane was at her skill class for the day, I had decided on visiting her father. I didn't exactly know where he lived, so with Burnie's directions and Barbs' driving, I was on my way.

The last time I saw Mason Downing was when he had his heart condition and laying in the hospital. It broke my heart to see Jane emotional and worried, but I knew she was strong. She was my beautiful, strong Jay.

"Are you nervous?" Barbs asked as she turned a left, passing by a long expanse of green fields.

"Definitely." I sighed out, leaning back and running a hand through my hair. My other hand played with the velvet box that lay in my pocket, taunting me with it's very presence. Today was the day that I would be asking Jane's father for his blessing. It was something I haven't done before and it gave me the worst anxiety. What if he says no? What if he laughs in my face and tells me to leave?

"Well, don't be. You said yourself that he approved you. What's there to be scared of?" Barbara takes a glance at me before turning her eyes back onto the road.

"I don't know. I mean, I haven't done this before! How do guys do this? How was Michael able to?" I was overreacting, right? Maybe if I took deep breaths...

"Actually, I think Michael just did it without getting her father's approval," She chuckled. "But that's Michael. He's too cool for that." As she says that, she turns into a quiet looking neighbourhood with dark red brick houses that lined the street. It was definitely a comforting feeling. There were some parts of Tottenham that made people never look back twice, but this place was perfect. Nothing out of the ordinary. "I think this is it." Barbs pulled up in front of a pale blue house that had a nicely cut lawn and even trimmed hedges.

"I think I'm gonna throw up." I muttered and she placed a hand on my shoulder, rubbing her thumb back and forth soothingly.

"Gavin, just calm down. You'll be fine. Hopefully, he doesn't threaten you with wet bread." She tried to crack a joke and I felt my lips tug into a smile. "Do you want to call Michael? It's almost 7 in the morning, but he should be up." Michael always seemed to calm me down and was able to help unwind me. Even though he cursed me out and punched me during our recordings, he was the best friend anyone could wish to have.

"Yeah." I nodded and soon she had her phone out, dialing his number, leaving it on speaker phone.

"Hello?" His voice spoke through and it sounded like he just woke up from sleeping.

"Hey, Michael," Barbs said. "I have some important news to tell you. It will involve your advice."

"Well, fucking spit it out. I don't have all morning." The both of us laughed at his morning crankiness. Same old Michael.

"Actually, you do. You don't have work today," He quietly tells her to 'Fuck off'. "Okay, well, Gavin and I are in front of Jane's father's house and Gavin is going to be taking a new step. He's going to ask for her father's blessing." Barbara grinned at me and I leaned back, breathing out deeply.

"Oh, shit. Seriously?" That sparked interest in the curly haired boy's voice. He was the most encouraging, next to Barbara, about the whole proposal. He said it would be the best thing I have ever done and he even told me it was the best thing he ever did with Lindsay. "So, why call me? Gav, you okay?" I guess he knew he was on speaker.

"I'm nervous, mate," I said. "Should I just do what you did and propose without asking?" I was really considering that option because my heart was beating so fast I thought it was going to explode.

"No, dude. Trust me. You need to ask because I got a long lecture from, not just Lindsay's father, but also her mother. Fuck, it was terrifying, but thankfully they were happy afterwards." Michael chuckled and I could hear a stuff being opened, making me believe he was making breakfast for himself.