Envy and Beer Bet

(Ray's POV)

"That was selfish of you." I told Bree as we entered my apartment. On the walk home, I had given her a lecture and maybe I shouldn't have since I am just her boyfriend, not her father, but she had to realise that keeping it a secret was against the right thing to do.

"I said I was sorry," Bree turned to me after she shrugged out of her purple cardigan. "How many times do I have to repeat myself?"

"Until you stop being selfish." I said, matter-of-factly.

"I am not selfish!" She raised her voice and crisply stamped her small foot on the carpet, making me turn to her and raise and eyebrow. "Stop saying that!"

"Then what should I say? Hm? That keeping this from your friend and lying to her about it is okay? What if she does something that can change her condition right now?" I crossed my arms. Bree had to realise that her action was wrong. Jane was one of my best friends, like a little sister that I've grown to love with a brotherly tenderness. "You acted wrong, Bree and yes, it was selfish."

"Just stop," She was twisting her cardigan with her hands, obviously fighting the impulse to lash out again. "I am not selfish, I wasn't trying to be." Her voice lowered into a strained whisper and I could see fresh tears drip from her eyes and fall onto her tan cheeks. My body finally relaxed and I sighed. Seeing her sad and on the verge of crying always made me want to comfort her.

I walked back over to her and pulled her against me. "I'm sorry." I mumbled, chin resting on her head. She didn't cry nor whimper, but buried her face in my chest.

"I was just jealous." I heard her say and I closed my eyes shut, pulling her even closer.

_______

(Jane's POV)

"You're fucking insane if that's what you believe." I told Carrie, arms crossed and back against the cold headboard of my bed. How can she think that? There is no fucking way that it is true because it isn't. Nope.

"It's a possibility we have to consider, Jane. Just think about--"

"No! Because it's not the case!" I cut her off, making her roll her eyes and sigh.

"When was the last time, then?" She asked, crossing her arms, her dark, golden curls splaying out over her shoulders. She raised her perfectly plucked blond eyebrows at me.

"Two days ago." I grumbled, tugging at a loose hem on my comforter.

"Okay, what about before that?" She suggested and I wanted to throw my pillow at her.

"I don't know! I don't write it down in a journal each time!" I yelled which didn't even make her flinch. What she proposed was incredulous and even though it wasn't a big deal for me, I just didn't want to accept the fact. The proof was right in front of me and I couldn't even agree with her.

"Sorry," She raised her hands. "It's just that you're acting exactly like my sister-in-law did. So, it's obvious." She shrugged. "I thought you wanted this."

"I did...I do, but now? Only two days after my engagement? I'm not really ready." I shook my head and leaned it back against the polished wood of the head board.

"If I can get a way to check...will you do it?" She asked, straightening up and smiling a little.

"I guess so." I sighed.

_______

(Ray's POV)

I moved off of Bree, falling down on my back on the bed as I tried to recollect my breaths. She was equally huffing, her dark hair spilled around her in black waves. She had a huge grin on her face, her perfectly straight teeth showing.