Speechless and Skype Calls

My mind went blank. Never would I have suspected this whatsoever. As Gavin sat on his knee, the ring in its little black box, I was frozen in my spot, at a loss for words. I was speechless.

I wanted this, for a while to be honest, but now that it's happening here, while I'm doing what I've always wanted to do, I was scared. If I said yes, I would have to drop my class and go back to Texas and forget about Oxford, but if I say no, then I would lose the person I loved.

When I looked into Gavin's green eyes, I could see the nervous expression clouding them and his smile was starting to shake. I haven't spoken yet, still tense from what just happened. I loved this boy, this wonderful person right here...so, why was it so hard to just say the one thing that would end this awkward stage?

"I-I..." I swallowed the lump in my throat. Gavin's smile was starting to lose hope and I hated to see that. "Gavin..."

"Yes?" He moved off of his knee to stand back up, his eyes turning to dread, as if waiting for me to crush his dreams. He bit his lip while he waited for me to speak.

"I love you," I said and he gave me a half smile, his fingers twitching on the box he held. The ring was definitely beautiful, breath taking and I was scared to even ponder how much it cost. "This was so unexpected, I never would have...It was unexpected." I repeated myself, closing eyes and taking a deep breath. "You caught me off guard."

"It's a no, isn't it?" Gavin's voice shook a little and I could feel the tears starting to build up from how sad he sounded. "I knew I should have...I should have waited o-or kept it to myself. I'm sorry for putting you on the spot-" I cut him off with a soft kiss on the lips, cupping his face and gently stroking his cheeks, feeling the stubble that was beginning to cover his face. I let the tears that threatened my eyes to spill down my cheeks and when I pulled away, I let a small smile spread on my face.

"It's alright. I just wasn't expecting it," I shook my head and chuckled. Confusion danced in his green iris', having me smile even bigger. "I've been waiting for you to do this."

"W-what?" Gavin said shakily. His hands had a slight tremor.

"Gavin, I love you and I want the same things you want," I placed my lips against his again, tilting my head to the side to deepen the kiss and as I did so, my hand trailed down to take the black box from him, extract the lovely ring from its place, and slide it onto my finger. Once I did, I brought that same hand up to cup his face once more.

"So, yes?" Gavin said against my lips, eyes closed and I had a feeling he was too scared to open them until I answered.

"Yes."

______

"Oh, my god! It looks so perfect on your hand!" Barbs exclaimed as she held my palm, grinning from ear to ear. When Gavin and I were done with our tiny make-out session in the back, we decided on telling the other two the great news. I knew they already knew about this, I mean they helped with the whole set up! "Why can't my boyfriend step up to the plate already?" She stuck out her bottom lip in a pout, making me giggle and hug her to me.

"You're so cute when you're upset." I told her and she practically squeezed the life out of me.

"Okay, my turn to hug my only daughter." My father said and I smiled as he engulfed me into his arms. I was happy he approved of this, that he supported Gavin and I being together.

Once I unraveled myself from him, I looked back and smiled at my fiancé. That was going to be difficult to get used to. I couldn't believe I was now engaged and not just to anyone, but the most perfect guy for me: my Gavin. The ring felt heavy on my left hand, but it was a good feeling, not one that screamed it to be a burden.