Worst Friend and Safe Haven

(Jane's POV)

Light pounding on the door broke through my sleep in the middle of the night. I groaned slightly as I lifted my head to check the clock on the bedside table. 2:30.

"What...the...fuck." I mumbled, smashing my head further into the pillow. My pregnancy has consisted of morning sickness, late nights, and an uncontrollable bladder, so hearing someone wanting attention had me too tired to get out of bed.

"Answer the door." Gavin said beside me, his voice gravelly from sleep. I moved to look at his face, the dim light from the barely opened window casting shadows against his face.

"I'm pregnant and tired, you prick. I have the right to push you out of bed," I brought my foot up and pushed it against his stomach. "Now, go check." With a curse and sigh, Gavin moved back the sheets and left to go and see who was here at this godforsaken hour.

I was almost about to fall asleep again when Gavin's shocked voice had me lift my head back up, "Bree? What the bloody hell are you doing here?" I heard him say. I quickly pushed myself out of the bed, only in a large tshirt that reached the middle of my thighs.

I made my way through the hallway, seeing Gavin at the front door and leading in a completely soaked Bree. Her dark hair clung to her pale face and her eyes were cast downward as Gavin closed the door, bringing her to the sofa.

"Bree, what the hell?" I mumbled, coming over and sitting down next to her. "Gavin, get a blanket or something." I told him. He nodded and left immediately.

"I'm sorry. I just needed to be here instead of at a hotel." She said as she looked up at me and I knew right then and there that something was off.

"What's happened?" I asked, handing her the blanket Gavin brought back. His eyes were just a concerned as mine and we both awaited her answer. Bree opened her mouth to speak, but closed it immediately, the blanket wrapped loosely around her. "I guess it can wait until we aren't all tired. I'll give you some pyjamas and you can stay in the guest bedroom." I smiled a little.

She nodded and I led her to the extra spare room that would soon turn into a nursery. I pulled out a Zelda shirt and a pair of dark red lounge pants from the dresser in my room to give to her. I was just so shocked to see Bree at my door early in the morning. I had a feeling it was something to do with her and Ray, but I'd have to wait until she was ready to speak.

_____________

"So, tell me."

I pleaded to Bree. It was finally the late morning, the dull light of the rising sun seeping through the windows. Gavin was still asleep in the bedroom, but Bree and I were wide awake in the living room with two mugs of warm tea. The dark smudges under her eyes and the lost light she always held were the only things she was able to muster. She looked defeated and hurt.

"Ray and I had a fight that ended...not so well." She said, so quietly I almost barely caught it.

"What was it about? Probably you being gone without replying to our texts and calls, right?" I was kind of miffed about that, but I wasn't going to yell at her in this moment. Bree sipped her tea, her fingers constantly tapping the side of the red mug.

"Part of it," She looked down, her cheeks reddening, but I knew it wasn't from the heat of the tea. I narrowed my eyes and encouraged her to continue, but she seemed to be having trouble. "I-I did something awful, Jane. Something so bad." She couldn't even meet my eyes as she spoke.

"What?" I asked.

"I-I...." She breathed out deeply before finally looking up at me, her brown eyes filled with tears. "I cheated on Ray...with Brad," My face must have been one of disgust or something because she placed her mug on the coffee table and took my hands. "I was trying to see if my supposed feelings for him were true or not."