Nervous

~ Dan ~

Dan's PoV
Christmas Eve

I stare at the small box containing the not so fancy ring. She's going to hate it. She'll say no. I'm meant to propose to the love of my life tomorrow but, I don't think she'll say yes. We've only been dating for what, a year and a half? Most couples wait longer before getting married. But I know she's the one. The ringing of my mobile startles me. I quickly pick it up. Kyle. I sigh quietly and answer it.

"You okay mate? You haven't replied to any of my texts?" Kyle asks.

"I'm nervous as fuck Kyle." I reply. "There's no way in hell she'll say yes, the ring is shit and when I get too nervous, to the point it's overwhelming, I'll take an anxiety attack."

"Dan, buddy, calm down. She'll love it, trust me." Kyle tries to reassure me but I shake my head. "I don't think I've ever met any of your partners so head over heels in love with you." Y/N tells Kyle everything so it must be true, right? I look over to the clock, 9pm. Y/N should be home soon from her last shift.

"Y/N is gonna be home soon, I'll talk later." I mumble.

"If you need anything just phone." Kyle says and hangs up. I stare at the front door, knowing her car has just pulled up. The door opens and there she is, multiple bags weighing her down.

"Don't just stare, help me you dork." She smiles. I laugh and slowly get up, taking a couple of bags from her. "I managed to fit in some last minute shopping." She smiles up at me.

"I can see." I smile. "So what's all in here?" I ask, trying to look into the bags.

"No peeking! Some of that is for you!" Y/N shouts. She sounds mad, but she is actually smiling. We take the many bags upstairs and I leave her to wrap whatever she needs to. "Daniel! Make me some mac n cheese please! I'm starving!"

"Fine!"

~*~*~*~*
Christmas Day

I guess when someone is that nervous they don't really sleep. I look over to Y/N who is still sleeping. She has absolutely no clue. I slowly snuggle up to her, burying my head into her neck, knowing this will wake her up. Y/N lives off affection, especially in the morning. I hear her quietly groan before her arms wrap around me.

"Merry Christmas Dan." She mumbles quietly.

"Merry Christmas sweetheart." I reply with a small smile. "Let's get up?"

"No!" She whines.

"Come on, I have an amazing present for you." I whisper, instantly regretting I said that. Nerves begin to soar through me and I'm pretty sure I've started shaking.

"Really?" Y/N whispers, pulling away from my embrace. She gets up and grabs my hoodie, that's basically a dress on her, and runs downstairs.

"Shit." I quietly mumble. I get up slowly and change into sweatpants and some random t-shirt before heading downstairs. Y/N is sitting, waiting for me patiently.

"Hurry up slow coach." She beams. I give her a small smile back and sit kneel down by the Christmas tree. "Give me this amazing present you were talking about, you've got me really excited now!"

"Uh yeah... let me find it." I quietly whisper, knowing fine well where I put it. My hands begins to shake as I begin to 'look' for the small wrapped box. I eventually 'find' it and give it up to Y/N. She opens it slowly. My breathing quickens as she opens the box. She stares at the ring. "I can always return it..." I whisper. She continues to stare at the ring, before looking up at me with that look that she always gives me when she doesn't know what to do. I'm pretty sure I'm visibly shaking now.

"Are you proposing to me Dan?" Y/N asks slowly. I nod my head in reply. She continues to stare at me before staring back at the ring. I can feel a panic attack coming on. She doesn't like it. She doesn't like me. She doesn't want to marry me. "Dan!" I hear Y/N shout and I look up at her. "Yes." She smiles.

"P-pardon?" I choke out.

"I will marry you." She whispers. I slowly lie down in relief. "Did you think I was gonna say no?"

"I did, yes." I mumble.

"Why?"

"I didn't know if you were ready or if you loved me and I thought the ring was horrible." I explain. Y/N just shakes her head, with a small smile.

"Dan, I love you, I am ready and the ring is stunning. You need to stop getting yourself so worked up over these kind of things." Y/N smiles, hovering over me.

"I didn't sleep cause of it." I whisper which makes Y/N shake her head.

"Go back to bed Dan, we can open presents later."

"Okay."