Chapter Sixty-Three: Holy Shit

???'s POV

He's been gone for months. The police are close to giving up. How could people do that? Call off the search of someone who's gone missing. Don't they care about how the loved ones feel? And what if the missing person is still alive?! What would they think? I can't help but find it almost heartless.

"It wasn't my fault!" He said. "He ran into the woods!" He said. I knew there was something wrong with that guy. Ever since he disappeared and came back claiming this "great guy" was his boyfriend. He would never have ran off without being provoked. It doesn't make any sense that he would.

The guy claiming to be his boyfriend truly rubs me the wrong way. I was horrified the entire time that the police would come back after searching the place and say they found his body. So far, nothing.

"C'mon dude! Hurry up, it's getting cold.."

"Told you to wear your damn jacket," I hissed at the smaller boy climbing over the metal fence that separated the city from the forest. He slipped and rolled down the little hill into the shrubbery down below. Hearing the groaning, I knew he was alive.

"Careful!" I called, climbing over the fence myself and managing to creep down the hill without slipping.

"It's been too long," I muttered, seeing my friend already start to examine the forest floor and trees. "He would have died out here. If.. He really did come out here.."

My friend shook his head, being stubborn as usual. "Nah dude, he's fine. If he's the same as how he was when we were kids then he's perfectly fine."

I rolled my eyes, relunctedly following him deeper into the trees.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"This is stupid," I groaned again. "If he did come out here, he's dead! We're just looking for a corpse!"

"Better than nothing," the other argued, still going strong while I had started to lag behind awhile ago.

Finally, our pace faltered. We heard what sounded like footsteps. Multiple footsteps. I grabbed my friend, pulling us both behind a tree and clamping my hand over his mouth as we stood in silence.

"There's no one out here, Sol," a voice spoke out, hesitance lacing his tone. I tensed, holding back a gasp. I felt my friend tense beside me. That.. was his voice.

There was an animal-like grunt as the footsteps came closer. They were large and heavy. What animal could possibly be out here? Especially this big? There was a low rumble, making the ground underneath us shake. I held my breath, feeling my friend doing the same. Finally his voice rang out again.

"Sol, can we go? Please? There's no one out here and.. And being so close to the city is.. starting to make me uncomfortable."

Silence. Finally another grunt and the footsteps retreated. Once they were far enough, my curiosity got the best of me. I leaned over, seeing a figure walking away with a large animal with golden fur strolling at their side. I was only able to study them for a moment before they disappeared.

My heart hammered against my ribcage. I leaned against the tree, trying to calm my breathing. My friend leaned against it as well, next to me. We both stood there for a second before I turned and locked eyes with the younger next to me.

"Leo..." I breathed his name, watching as his once wide and fearful eyes shine with excitement and life as they always did.

"Holy shit!" Leo whisper-yelled, bouncing up and down in his place.

"Holy shit, Jason that was Nico!"