2. triggered

Harry P.O.V

I watched as the kids ran around on the playground. There was so many of them. I didn't get how people could keep track of them. Along with that, there was the annoyingly large amount of screaming too. If I wasn't so invested, I'd have left already.

I didn't though. I was too interested in seeing what a certain small curly haired girl was doing. My eyes surveyed the field until they found her.

She was sitting by herself, eating a sandwich from her book bag. She didn't look lonely or out of place. My kid just liked eating lunch alone I guess.

I watched as Freya ate through her sandwich and apple slices. She put that away before drinking a juice box. Afterwards, a group of little girls came up to her and sat with her. They seemed to be friends, I thought as I was watching them laugh.

Freya made a silly face that made the other girls burst into laughter, making me crack a smile as well.

"Which one is yours?" Louis came up from behind and asked.

"The only one wearing a dress with knee socks." I described.

Louis looked at the group of the annoying kids, until he saw Freya.

"She's beautiful, Harry." Louis said.

I could only nod because I was too focused on observing what she was doing. A large part of me wanted to walk into the school and go talk to her. I wanted her to know that her father was there. I couldn't just do that though. I didn't know what her mom had told her about me. I didn't want to confuse or scare Freya.

"When are we going to stop watching them and actually do something? You've been letting them wander for almost two months now without doing much." Louis brought up.

"I haven't seen or heard of Nate showing up yet." I answered with a casual shrug.

"That's because we keep throwing him off. But he's going to catch on." Louis shoved his hands into the pocket of his pants. It was mornings in Paris were ridiculously cold.

A loud scream broke me away from my thoughts, as I automatically searched for Freya. Her group of friends, including herself, were screaming at some boys. It looked like they were taunting them. I looked to see if any of teachers were paying attention.

"Harry, you can't do anything." Louis grabbed me by the elbow.

I didn't notice myself moving forward bit. It was a good thing Louis stopped me. No one could have known that I was there. I would have been giving myself away, so I had to tread slowly.

Finally, teachers showed up and scolded the boys. One teacher with blonde hair went to Freya before gently grabbing her hand. She wiped away a tear from her face and was saying something to her. I watched as she soothed my daughter.

I wished it was be me, but that wasn't possible.

I didn't know what it was to be a father. I had no idea I wanted to be one until I saw Freya in person. Seeing her pictures was one thing, it just told me a little about her. But seeing her in person reminded me that a part of me was walking on the same ground as me, breathing the same air as me. It gave me a new sense of hope and determination.