Malcolm Reynolds x M!reader ~ His Sky

(Y/N) POV

It was beautiful, I could stare at it forever. An endless display of stars and wonder; living on Serenity and traveling through space never gets old. I sat in the co-pilot seat that wasn't used next to Wash as he sailed the stars. Wash glanced at me, smiling to himself at my wonderous state.

"Falling in love with the sky, (y/n)?" he asked, bringing me back to reality. A blush crept onto my cheeks before turning towards Wash to answer him.

"You could say that, what gave it away?"

"You've had your eyes on it for a few hours now. Ever since you joined the crew actually." Footsteps could be heard coming towards us, followed by Zoey entering the cockpit and standing behind Wash.

"All you ever do is sit up here and look at the sky. It's kind of a dead giveaway, Kiddo," Zoey stated, calling me by the nickname she gave me and kissing Wash's forehead.

"Captain wants everyone in the cargo bay, come on," announced Zoey, walking out of the cockpit. Wash followed her like a faithful puppy would; I sighed, shaking my head at him, and tagged along. Zoey and Wash felt like parents to me, I never knew my real ones. The rest of the crew felt like family besides Jayne, I wasn't so sure about him yet. As I arrived at the cargo bay, River and Kaylee pulled me into a big hug and stood/sat with me while the Captain talked.

"Okay, we'll be hitting Persephone's atmo in ten minutes. Badger has a job for us so, Zoey, Jayne, and I will be leaving to talk to him. Inara, you have your own business. River, Simon, Kaylee, and Shepard will get any supplies we need. Wash, you and (y/n) will stay here and watch Serenity, Liaojie?" Everyone nodded and left to get ready for the busy day ahead.

"(Y/n)? Can I talk to you for a minute?" asked Mal; I walked over and raised an eyebrow in confusion at him.

"What's up Captain?"

"Are you alright? Inara pointed out that you aren't eating much lately." My cheeks flushed a bit, thinking about what happened this past week. I gave him a small smile and gave rest to his worry.

"I'm fine, just not hungry much. Don't worry, I'll eat." Mal nodded and left me in the cargo bay. A sigh escaped my lips, I had a crush on Malcolm Reynolds that only River knew for some reason.

~~~ Time Skip ~~~

Serenity soon hit atmo and everyone went to do their tasks. Wash sat in the cockpit as usual with me next to him reading The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse by Robert Rankin. Half an hour later, Wash left for the kitchen; while he was away, Zoey called the ship.

"Wash? You there, dear?" Zoey's voice seemed on the edge, I put down my book down and answered the call.

"Wash isn't here, Zoey. Can I take a message?"

"Sure, you can, Kiddo. We have a job and will be there soon. I'm not too happy about the job though,"

"Is that Zoey?" Wash asked, face full of food. I nodded and handed it over to him, going to the kitchen myself. I made myself a cup of tea and sat at the table. Kaylee and her group soon arrived in the dining area with smiles and laughter. In tow came Zoey, Jayne, and Mal with worried eyes.

"Do we have a job?" Simon asked. Jayne scowled and left towards his bunk while Zoey went to look for Wash.

"Yes, Badger gave us the task of getting some goods off a deserted ship." Simon nodded and left with River.

"Isn't it good that we have a job?" Kaylee pestered. Mal was quiet for a few seconds before calmly stating,

"The ship was hit by Reavers." Kaylee gasped while Bok swore in Chinese.

"Why are we taking this job?" I inquired, finishing my tea. Zoey walked into the kitchen with Wash in tow.

"We get what work comes our way." Mal sighed and left to his room; Wash motioned for me to follow him to the pilot chair.

"We're out of the atmosphere now, care to look at the stars?" I giggled and gleefully sat in the other chair and open my book again. I only read one sentence before I got caught up in looking at the stars again, I could hear Wash chuckle at my antics.

~~~ Time Skip by Wash and his dinos ~~~

"It's right there," Wash exclaimed as we reached the wrecked ship.

"You guys all suited up?" I asked through the intercom system. Mal confirmed and he plus Jayne and Zoey left to do the job; I got worried that the Reavers might return so I clung to Wash.

"Don't worry (y/n), they won't come back. We'll be fine, go play with Kaylee and river to take your mind off of this job, okay?" I agreed and left to find Kaylee and River doing each other's hair in the area in front of the medical room.

"May I join?"

"Sure, but only if we can do your hair!" they said in unison. I laughed and said yes, getting comfy on the floor in front of the couch they were sitting on. Once they finished my hair, which was long and (f/c), it had a braid with a whole bunch of clips, ribbons, and other stuff in it.

"Cute hair, (y/n)," Mal shouted from the cargo bay as he walked past the doorway. I blushed ten different shades of red and listened to the girls giggle at my tomato face.

"So, it's the Captain, huh?" Kaylee said, calling Simon.

"Ta shi shenme?" he asked, peering out of the infirmary.

"(Y/n) has a crush on the Captain!" yelled River, causing Simon to groan and pay River five bucks. Must have been a bet...sigh.

"Shh! Not so loud, okay?" I got up from the ground and decided to make dinner because I had nothing else to do. I made fresh dumplings; everyone seemed to really enjoy them though, during dinner, the girls kept giggling to each other along with Simon. I cleaned up the kitchen after everyone had left and gone to bed, I went to the cockpit once I was done it all.

"Come to look at my sky?" I heard Mal say from the pilot chair, which startled me as I thought Wash was flying her. I sat in my usual seat and looked up at the stars.

"Yeah, it's lovely out there." Mal chuckled in his beautiful voice and put Serenity in the auto drive to look at me.

"Yes, yes, it is. But you know the sky is mine, right?" I glanced at Mal and blushed a little, looking down from his sky.

"Is it alright if I look at your sky?" I asked him quietly, I looked at him to see he had moved closer to me when he said the cheesiest thing I had ever heard.

"Well, since you are my sky...I think that's alright," he whispered before closing the space between us, our lips pressed together in absolute harmony. We fit one another perfectly and moved in sync; we parted for air and pressed our foreheads together to breath.

"That was amazing but super cheesy, Malcolm!" I giggled, he shrugged and backed away to look at me.

"Well, it's true. So, is this okay? Will you be my sky?"

"Yes, I will! Wo ai ni."

"Wo ai ni. To bed?"

"To bed!"