Far Out

Anthony

At the end of July Kris and I end up going to Cincinnati for the allstar game. Him and I were still sent there to represent the Cubs and the national league proudly.

And after some arguing and convincing I finally get Melissa to agree to come with me. And it wasn't even me who ended up being the deciding factor in her decision, the Cubs actually reached out to her and asked her to take pictures for the organization. She doesn't believe that I had nothing to do with that but I swear on my life I didn't say anything to them. Maybe Brittany and Jake or Jessica and Kris mentioned something or someone saw the pictures she had taken of their families at the field but they reached out to her all on their own.

And along with this being her first Cubs job this weekend, this is the first time they will meet my parents. Melissa was a little nervous but I don't get why, she's giving my parents a grandchild, she's already winning.

We get into Ohio and checked into the hotel. I was in the home run derby so I didn't have a lot of free time around here with interviews and promos and stuff. A lot of people were excited about the Cubs this season and they should be. Joe got us looking good this season and I was honored to be here to prove it.

"How do I look" Melissa asks as she looks in the mirror. She was wearing a long white dress that showed off her figure but was still modest. Her dirty blonde hair was curled and she had a little bit of make up on. As always she looked stunning, but I never get tired of reminding her that.

"You are a sight to behold" I admit and she smiles. She pulls me into a deep kiss that always takes my breath away.

"I love you so much" she whispers on my lips.

"I love you too" I smile.

We pack up the crew and head to the restaurant downstairs in the hotel. It was a lot like the one back home but this one didn't have a super cute bar tender.

We find my parents in the back and I introduce everyone. We order food and drinks and start a light conversation.

"So Melissa, if you could take pictures of anything in this world, what would it be" my mom asks and Mel smiles.

"I love the city so much, Chicago is beautiful and I always find things there worth capturing.

But my dream is to go far away, not just from this city but from every city out here. Go somewhere where you can't see a light from a street or a highway or a building or car. Someplace where the only light there is is from what is god given. The stars in the sky represent the only source of energy, only source of light.

And I don't want to just take pictures, I want to be a part of such nothingness. I want to look around and see nothing but peace. Then I can take pictures once I find whatever it is I'm looking for" she explains.

"That was so very beautiful. I hope you get there one day" my mom insists.

"Thank you" Melissa smiles.

The rest of the meal involved Mallory telling my parents of the adventures we've gone on, most of them being true, and all the great things she's learned about baseball. Every time she refers to me as Dad I smile big, I never get used to that.

"So little one, who is your favorite baseball player" my dad asks.

"Daddy for sure. But I like David too, he's old" she claims and we laugh.

"If he's old then in ancient" my dad claims.

"You're not that old" she scoffs and I shake my head. That girl is something else.

We finish up eating but we end up staying there and talking some more. My parents share our cancer story with Timothy and try to comfort him. I'm the only one knows of the second diagnosis because if Melissa knew it would kill her. She was finally freeing herself of the demons that follow her and neither of us wanted to break this to her. But we will have to tell her sometime.

But until then we keep pushing on, we put a smile on our face and enjoy what is given to ourselves.

"What's that" my mom asks pointing to my pocket. My face heats up as I realize the surprise I had planned was in jeopardy because I failed to tell my mother.

"It's just something I spilled on myself" I say slowly to try to send her a message. She looks at me weird but finally gets what I was trying to say.

"Right" she nods before turning back to the table.

Eventually Melissa takes Mallory to the bathroom and my dad and Tim went to go look at the set up at the field then we will meet them there. I wait with my mom as we had to go back to the hotel first.

"So what's actually in your pocket" she asks and I smile.

"It's a necklace I got made for Melissa. She doesn't let me do much for her but I'm hoping she'll like this" I say showing my mom the necklace. She gasps as she sees the locket opened up in its case.

Inside the gold locket was a picture of all of us from the Fourth of July. Mallory was on my shoulders as she pointed at the fireworks. My arm around Melissa as we looked to the sky. Tim was on my other side smiling up at Mallory. It was my lock screen and up in my locker but I figured she would probably want a copy of it to keep forever. So I got this made.

"Honey that's beautiful" she smiles.

"Thanks, I wanted to give it to her before the game" I admit.

"Do it" she encourages.

"I'll try" I assure her.

The girls come back from the bathroom and we catch a cab back to the hotel. We get changed for the events tonight and I see Melissa checking herself out in the mirror.

"Close your eyes" I insist and she laughs.

"Now is not the time for this game" she claims.

"No not that... just close your eyes" I insist.

She lets out a harsh sigh but eventually does what she is told. I put the necklace on her before securing it around her neck. It rests on her sharp collar bones and the gold really looked good with her tan skin.

"Okay... open your eyes" I say. She does so and quickly looks to where the necklace sat.

She lets out a soft gasp as she hold onto it. She opens it up and looks at the picture on the right side of the locket.

"Anthony" she whispers and I smirk.

"Yeah baby" I ask.

"This is so incredible. I... I don't know what to say" she says on the verge of tears.

"You don't need to say anything" I assure her.

"I need to say something... this is so thoughtful" she insists.

"I wanted you to be able to keep us in your heart forever, and now you can" I explain.

"I love you so much" she reminds me.

"I love you too."