Daddy Daughter Dance

Anthony

As I had promised I am going to take Mallory to a father daughter dance that I found here in Chicago. It was this pretty cool event where father's bring their daughters of all ages and they get to hang out and play games and dance. It was put together by the boys and girls club up here in Chicago and I'm sure it is going to make for a good time. I was probably just as excited as Mallory was to go this, I've wanted to do this for a while and the day was finally here. So Melissa gets her all dressed up and I pull on the best suit I have.

I've never done anything like this before. I'm more of a bar guy and I've never had a kid so this was all pretty new to me. But everything I've ever done with Mallory felt so natural, felt so right when I looked into her eyes and she called me her father. She was special, the way she carried herself. She was pretty mature for her age but she has already been some pretty tough things. She was a warrior princess who fought for what she loved and cared even more about doing what's right. She had a heart of gold and I was lucky enough to have part of it.

Eventually she comes out in a white floral dress and brown sandals on

Eventually she comes out in a white floral dress and brown sandals on. Her crazy curly blonde hair was done up real nice and of course she had a bow in it. Her bright blue eyes look up at me a she smiles real big. She does a twirl to show off her dress and I thought I was going to melt into a puddle.

"So... do you like, it do you like it" she asks.

"I love it. You look beautiful" I assure her as I grab her hands. I lift her up and down and up in down as she danced around at my feet. It was such a beautiful moment, like every other one we have shared.

"Save it for the dance floor would you" Melissa teases.

"What are you doing while we're out" I wonder.

"Probably finish unboxing our things. Get some photo shoots set up and send in some of my pictures" she says.

"Wow, don't have too much fun without me" I tease.

She pulls me into a quick kiss before sending us on our way. We find our way to the ballroom and get checked in. They give us a number to go sit at a table and we order some food. Mallory has a hard time seeing over the table so I let her sit on my leg so she can see the flowers on the table and touch them. She loves how soft they are, how delicate they were and that she could hold something like that in her hands.

"When can we dance" she asks.

"After we eat some food. We need our energy" I insist and she nods. She goes back to playing with the silverware and flowers and I hold her stable.

Eventually the food comes and we eat it up. Well, I eat and she picks apart the food and has a few bites of each before declaring she was done. So I wash her mouth and her hands before going to the dance floor. She grabs my hands and starts to dance around and I happily watch her. She had no rhythm but neither did I even though I had a lot more experience with dancing than she did. But she didn't care who was watching or what she looked like. All she wanted to do was dance with me and I wanted the same.

Suddenly the song changes from fast pace to slow. She looks at me confused because what five year old needs to know how to slow dance? But she eventually steps onto my feet as I hold her hands. I start to sway and she giggles as I move us around.

"I know a girl
She puts the color inside of my world
But, she's just like a maze
Where all of the walls all continually change

And I've done all I can
To stand on her steps with my heart in my hand
Now I'm starting to see
Maybe It's got nothing to do with me

Fathers, be good to your daughters
Daughters will love like you do
Girls become lovers who turn into mothers
So mothers be good to your daughters, too."

As I look into her eyes I see so much of her mother, she wanted nothing more than to be just like Melissa and I couldn't blame her. If we ever have a daughter I want her to be like Melissa too. Because the girl I fell in love with is strong and smart and kind. She's brilliant in every sense and she's made her mistakes so her kids won't have to. She's learned so much from her life and now she can pass it on to Mallory and any other kid that is going to be so lucky to call her mother.

"Oh, you see that skin?
It's the same she's been standing in
Since the day she saw him walking away
Now she's left cleaning up the mess he made

So fathers, be good to your daughters
Daughters will love like you do
Girls become lovers who turn into mothers
So mothers be good to your daughters, too

Boys, you can break
You'll find out how much they can take
Boys will be strong
And boys soldier on
But boys would be gone without warmth from
A woman's good, good heart

On behalf of every man
Looking out for every girl
You are the God and weight of her world

So fathers, be good to your daughters
Daughters will love like you do
Girls become lovers who turn into mothers
So mothers be good to your daughters, too
So mothers be good to your daughters, too."

I know that Mallory probably wishes her real dad was here, that he didn't turn out to be such a low life piece of shit. She doesn't even know the half of it and Melissa will never tell her because she's too into protecting Mallory to let her think her father is what he actually is. And while I'll never be Mallory's father, I can still be the best father figure to her. I can show her her inner strength and make sure she knows just how loved she is. Because behind every man is a strong woman and I got two of my own. Even after everything we've been through we're still going strong and I couldn't wait to see where this leads.