Trading Places

Anthony

Although this trip wasn't exactly planned, it was everything the three of us needed at this time. Melissa didn't want to be in the apartment where her brother just died and Mallory didn't want to wait at home for her uncle who was never going to come back. I myself was having a rough time with how baseball ended and losing one of my best friends all in the same night. So maybe running away wasn't the greatest way for us to deal with our problems, but it sure did feel good to be so far away from everything that was hurting.

But being here was such a great experience for us in every imaginable level. I forgot about baseball for a while and I can focus on being a part of a family. I never would have thought that by this time this year I would have a wife and a kid, but it felt so natural. I would do anything for my girls and being here with them was the best thing I could think of. Mallory hasn't seen the finer things in life and I get to show her. She got to go to a real beach for the first time in her life and she even did some hula dancing with her mom and the people of Hawaii. They went to the spa that's here in the resort and even found some pretty cool sea shells to bring home.

As for today we were going to try snorkeling. I don't know how Mallory would do because she won't go in water past her knees unless she was on my back but I think she might enjoy this, getting to see the sea creatures and it was in a controlled environment within the resort.

So we pull on our bathing suits and head to the aquarium where they allowed the snorkeling. We get fitted with the equipment for swimming under water for long periods of time and go over the basic rules. Melissa has a water proof camera with her and she was most excited to do this. She was a curious soul and lived to capture the things she sees in her camera.

Naturally Melissa went first and Mallory wanted to watch to see if it was safe for her. She knew if her mom would do it she would do it too. So we watch Melissa swim with all the fishes and I smile big to myself. She looked so good in her bathing suit, it's easy to see why she had always drawn a crowd. And I know she's changed from those crazy college days but I still feel like she would make any man fall to their knees.

"I want to swim with mommy" Mallory finally says and I nod.

"Alright. Lets get your stuff on and you can come with me" I say and she nods. She pulls on the goggles and the thing to help her breathe under water. I do too before wrapping her arms around my neck. I slide into the water and swim over to where Melissa was taking pictures. The fish were all around her like she could talk to them or something. But everything is naturally attracted to her, even the water animals.

I get over to her and she turns over to take a picture of Mallory and I. Mallory keeps a hold on me as I take us over to where the smaller fish were that she would be better with. One of the little ones swims over to her and she reaches out to touch it. It let her and I can feel her jump when she does. But she eventually relaxed and enjoyed the ride. We swim around and see as many fishies we could before the oxygen ran out. Finally we resurface and breathe some real air.

"That was amazing" Melissa sighs as she runs her fingers through her long wet hair and I shamelessly check her out.

"Did you get some good pictures" I wonder.

"I got some incredible ones. I can't wait to see these when we get home. I'm going to have enough for four scrap books" she claims.

"You really like it here huh" I ask.

"I love it here. I'm so happy we came" she smiles and I nod.

"Yeah baby, me too."

We get changed and decide to have a nice meal instead of sandwiches or just forgetting to eat and end up snacking on popcorn. We leave for home tomorrow and I was sad that we had to say goodbye to this place. It was blissful out here, waking up to the sound of the ocean beating the sand was something I could get used to. But I know there's unfinished business back home and I was being selfish keeping Melissa to myself when other people relied on her too. So instead we were going to enjoy a nice meal at the resort overlooking the ocean as we watched the sun set on this beautiful day. I had my two girls beside me and the best meal I ever had in front of me and I am convinced it doesn't get much better than this.

"I'm really happy we did this" Melissa says as she looks out over the ocean. I can see the sunset in her eyes and it gave me chills.

"What happens when we go back" I wonder.

"I don't know. What should I do" she asks.

"Come live with me" I beg. "I know we already talked about this but I can tell you're still on the fence about it. But I mean, if you move in with me then you don't have far to go for work, just go down stairs. Plus you don't even need that job anymore with Tim gone and you living with me, now you can just focus on your photography" I suggest.

"I wish it was that easy" she says. "I knew my brother was leaving but him being gone is still shocking. I know things weren't going to be the same when he was gone but I didn't think it would change that much either. I mean my whole life got flipped upside down in just a week and now I'm here and I don't know what to think" she admits.

"I get it, this is a lot. But I know we can do this if we do it together" I insist. She finally turns her attention from the sun set to me as she smiles. She softly cups my cheek and my skin starts to tingle under her touch.

"You make me feel like I can do anything" she claims.

"Then come live with me" I say softly.

"Alright" she agrees and I smile.

"Really" I ask as she nods at me.

"Yeah. I'm scared of change but I'm more scared to try and do this without you even more. You haven't let me down before and I don't think you will now" she admits.

"I won't. I'm never going to let you hurt" I promise and she smiles at me.

"I know sweetie. I know."