Chapter 53

It was your apple.

As he lifted his foot off the slightly crushed apple, he had swiftly picked it up, and examined it. The silence in the cell was thick, so thick that one of Stormfly's spike couldn't even cut through it. Your blood ran cold as his eyes landed on you.

He quickly strode towards you, placing his iron grip around your neck as he lifted you up, letting your legs dangle a foot off the ground. 

"Who was it?" He growled.

"I-I don't k-know." You wheezed, suddenly feeling his hand tighten further.

"Don't lie to me! Who has been feeding you?" His hand was crushing your windpipe. "Who has been giving you different sets of clothing?"

"I-I don't know! I-I swear!" You cried, trying to pry his hands off you. 

"Sir, sorry to interrupt you, but you're needed in the arena." A voice rang through the cell. 

It wasn't Arlo, it was someone else. Dagon had growled as he released his grip around your neck. 

You fell to the stone floor, coughing and spluttering as your eyes watered, trying to get the oxygen back into your lungs. 

Dagon turned swiftly, striding out of your cell. When looking up, you seen the other man keeping his eyes on Dagon as he and Dagon left down the hall. 

Your throat burned as a lump suddenly grew inside it. 

Once the footsteps faded away, Arlo looked back at you. "You all right?"

"I'm-I'm fine." You whispered, eyes blurring  once more. 

Once you crawled back onto the hay and laid out on your back, you felt the tears slip down your temples. Your lips quivered as you tried holding back a sob. You shut your eyes tightly, trying to keep everything together, but it was so hard.

So you let it go.

~~~~~

Hiccup sighed as he and Toothless landed back on Berk. Another failed mission to find you and Midnight. It was already late, night had fallen already and Hiccup was exhausted. But no matter how tired he was, he couldn't fall asleep. Not without you by his side. 

If he did fall asleep, it was only for a short amount of time. 

"Oh no." Toothless huffed.

"Whats wrong?" Hiccup asked, only to look up to see Astrid standing a handful of feet ahead of him with Stormfly, arms crossed. "Oh." Hiccup nodded in understanding. 

"Where have you been?" Astrid asked, glaring heatedly at Hiccup. "And don't you lie."

Hiccup sighed. "Astrid, I just went out for a flight--"

"No, you didn't. You went to look for them, didn't you?" She cocked an eyebrow. She knew as she saw Toothless and Hiccup looking at the ground. "You did."

"Astrid, listen to me--"

Astrid cut him off as she made her way towards him. "No. You said that we couldn't do anything without telling you or the others. You made those rules, Hiccup, which also apply to you." She poked him in the chest to empathize her point. "You can't be going out there searching for them without letting us know. I want to find them too, but we can't do that if you or anyone else keeps breaking the rules."

Hiccup sighed as he took a step back from her. "Astrid, I know. It's just that they've been gone for awhile now. It's been too long and I couldn't help but search for them. The last time we went to search for them, you remembered how that ended? It ended in a disaster. Ruffnut got hurt, she couldn't walk." Hiccup shook his head. "I didn't tell you guys what I was doing because then you all would've wanted to come. I didn't want anyone else to get hurt."

Astrid had sighed through her nose. "I can see your point, but you have to see it from our perspectives too. I'm going home, and you should too." Astrid sighed, waving Stormfly over to mount her and head back home. 

Hiccup ran his hand through his hair with a sigh.

"Lets just head home." Toothless crooned. Hiccup had nodded as they began walking. "Will we ever find them?" Toothless glanced up at Hiccup warily. 

"I don't know, honestly." Hiccup admitted quietly. "But I'll tell you this; one way or another, they'll come home. It's either if we find them or they come back on their own, they will come back home.  I know it."