Prompt #30

Prompt: Could you please do a prompt were Dimitri and Theo adopt a little girl that was from a abused home and they make her smile for the first time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                “Sasha, what do you want for dinner?” I asked.

                The little girl sitting on the couch looked up slowly, not meeting my eyes. Her nose was crooked, and she had various scars on her.

                There was the usual distrusting look on her face. I had never seen her with any other expression.

                Dimitri and I had decided to adopt a child since we were old enough, and wanted to have a kid or two. Little Sasha had caught our attention, and we had been told she was from an extremely abusive home. Both of us had agreed she had captured our hearts. We were determined to show her love and kindness.

                “Do you want pasta?” I offered.

                The little five year old nodded very slowly. There was a scar on her hand from where her mother had stuck her hand in a pot of boiling water once. Her parents had been absolutely awful to her, and my heart broke to see her like this.

                “Okay. Do you want to come color while I make dinner?” I said.

                She nodded slowly again and got up. I led her to the kitchen, though she kept a safe distance from me. She sat down at the table and I handed her a piece of paper and some crayons.

                “Good evening!” Dimitri said, coming in a few minutes after I had put the water on to boil. He came over to me and kissed me. He turned to Sasha, beaming a smile at her. “Hello, little Sasha! What are you drawing?”

                “A cat,” she said. Her voice was quiet and cautious, always afraid she would say the wrong thing and get hit for it.

                “Like our cat?” Dimitri asked.

                Dimitri had bought us a cat as a housewarming gift (even though it was mostly a gift for himself- I was more of a dog person). The cat had taken to Sasha almost instantly, and she seemed to only trust Speck.

                Speaking of Speck, the cat came into the room, hopping up onto the table and curling up near Sasha. Dimitri sighed as he watched the cat.

                “Speck, dear, the table is for food, not cats,” he said.

                Sasha reached out, petting Speck gently. She watched Dimitri, as if terrified he would smack the cat off the table.

                But Dimitri simply smiled. “Well, if Sasha is enjoying your presence, I suppose I can make an exception.”

                A few minutes later, I set a plate of pasta down in front of Sasha, and then set down a plate for Dimitri and one for me. I eyed Sasha’s hair, which was lazily falling out of its ponytail.

                “Sasha, want me to braid your hair?” I offered. I had forced Thalia to teach me how to do a girl’s hair when we had adopted Sasha.

                Sasha eyed me, probably mentally calculating if I would rip her hair out. She nodded slowly and I went over to her.

                I carefully and gently twisted her hair into a braid, letting it fall over her shoulder when it was done. I smiled at her.

                “There, you look beautiful,” I said.

                “More beautiful than me, and that’s saying something,” Dimitri said with a wink.

                “You’re so full of yourself,” I said, rolling my eyes.

                “You can be full of me too,” he said with a smirk.

                “Children, Dimitri,” I said.

                “Instinct, my Theodore,” he said.

                I went over and kissed his cheek. “Be a big boy, Dimmy.”

                “You get no perks as my husband. I am Dimitri,” he said sternly, poking me in the cheek.

                “You are annoying,” I said and kissed him.

                Dimitri dramatically smacked a hand over his heart. “I am offended.”

                “I am hungry,” I said, stealing his pasta and eating some.

                An adorable giggle reached our ears and we both looked up in surprise. Sasha was watching us with a little smile on her face.

                “I love that!” Dimitri said, smiling at her. “What a glorious smile! Theodore! Keep stealing my food if it makes her smile. You have my permission.”

                Sasha giggled again, looking shy as the little smile stayed on her face. I had never seen her smile before.

                “You should smile more often,” I said, giving her a smile of my own. “It’s beautiful to see.”

                She blushed and hid her smiling face against Speck’s fur. Dimitri and I watched her, our eyes growing soft with affection. God, I hoped we got to see that smile more often.