Distance

Song Credit: "505" by Arctic Monkeys

"I really miss you, Betts. I wish I could be there with you right now. It's just not the same over Skype," Jughead sighed, screen lagging a bit.

"I know, Jug. My mom and Polly have been trying to keep my mind off of it, but all I think about is you," Betty replied, melancholy.

"Don't get me wrong, I'm super happy that you found that job in Toledo and that your mom was letting you stay with her and Jellybean, but these past two months have been the slowest eight weeks of my life."

"Tell me about it. And remember, this is only a temporary arrangement. I'm just trying to get enough money to...help my mom with her college tuition."

"You paused," Betty chuckled. "Did I?" Jughead replied, trying to change the subject.

"Jug? Mom says dinners ready," Betty heard Jellybean say in the background. "Is that Betty?" She asked, pointing to the computer.

"Hi, JB," Betty smiled. "Betty! I haven't seen you since I was seven!" She chuckled. "Wow, has it really been five years?" Betty asked.

"Mmhmm," JB nodded. "Forsythia, Forsythe, dinner!" Gladys called from the kitchen. "Betts, I gotta go. I'm sorry. Can I call you later?"

"Can't. I'm babysitting Juniper and Dagwood while Polly and Mom go see that new movie at the Bijou. Tomorrow?" Betty asked.

"I"m working until five and then JB has a football game until eight," Jughead sighed. "Jellybean plays football?" Betty asked, surprised.

"I'm a cheerleader," she corrected. "Okay, Betty, we gotta go. We'll talk soon, I promise. I love you."

"I love you too, Juggie," Betty sighed. "Bye, Betty!" Said Jellybean. "Bye, JB."

As soon as the call ended, Betty closed her screen, getting up from her bed and walked to her window, looking out with a sigh.

"How are you holding up, Betty?" asked Polly from the doorway. "Not good. Tonight was the first time I've talked to him since last Friday," she sighed.

"Could you be any pettier?" Betty asked herself. "At least you can talk to your boyfriend!"

"Of course, my issues can't compare to--" "It's fine, Betty, really. You're allowed to be upset. It's okay. Besides, Jason and I are cousins, so even if he were here, it wouldn't work out," Polly smiled.

"Mom and I wanted to invite you with us to the movies tonight. We thought you deserve a break." "Polly, what about the twins?" Betty asked.

"We can leave them with Cheryl, I'm sure she'd love to see her niece and nephew," Polly suggested. "She can't. She's out of town with Toni. And besides, I wouldn't mind watching them. In fact, I'm good with kids," Betty replied.

"Okay, if you insist. "We're heading out, but we'll keep you updated. Juniper and Dagwood are down with Mom right now."

The girls made their way over downstairs as Alice grabbed her purse.

"Bebby!" cheered Juniper as she stumbled over to her Aunt. "Still can't say her 'T's?" Betty chuckled. "Not yet, no," Polly smiled as Juniper clung onto Betty's ankle.

"Up!" She said, holding both her arms up, looking at Betty and smiling. "Please? Can you say please?" Betty smiled. "Pwease?" "Okay, ready? And...up!" Betty smiled, lifted her niece up and holding her.

---

It was nearly scary how Betty could put on a fake smile for the kids and still be thinking of Jughead. "Where Jughie?" Dagwood asked in his broken English.

"He's not here right now, Daggy," Betty replied, handing him the building block that he dropped on the floor.

---

It had been two weeks before Betty and Jughead spoke again, the distance killing them both.

Ding! Dong!

Polly put down her book to answer the door, opening it and seeing Jughead. "Does she know you're here?" Polly whispered with a smile.

"Of course not, she thinks I'm still slaving away at some miserable job in Ohio," Jughead chuckled, his voice low.

"Good to see you, Jug," Polly smiled, pulling Jughead into a hug. "You too, Polls," he replied, still whispering.

"Polly, who's at the door?" Betty asked, Polly and the door blocking her sight of Jughead.

Polly looked back at Betty and smiled, opening the door all the way, Jughead smiling and saying, "Hey there, Juliet."

Betty ran from the stairs to Jughead's arms as he picked her up and swung her around, lips connecting like they never would again.

"You knew about this?" Betty asked with tears over her smile. Polly nodded with a smile as Betty told her, "You are evil, Pauline Cooper!" still smiling.

"Betts, I wasn't saving money for my mom," Jughead admitted, leading Betty to raise her eyebrow in curiosity.

"I was saving up for a house. One for me and you so that we never have to be apart again," he said. Betty giggled at his motives and pulled him in closer for another kiss.

"I would love that, Juggie."