Roses

COMPLETELY inspired by an au on instagram by the user @ th0ttiesdale--they have such great content and was an absolute sweetheart when i asked permission to write this. enjoy (and thank you @th0ttiesdale)!

"Please don't do this," cried Betty quietly as she stood in front of Jughead. "I love you." "Don't make this harder than it has to be," he sighed, his tone still stern as he pulled her hands from his face; she'd put them there to keep him in front of her, but it became clear that as he pulled away, he had no intention of staying.

He walked back a step, only to feel something leave his pocket. "The rose," he thought to himself, watching as Betty's teary eyes following the falling stem and petals until it hit the road beneath them. "Juggie?" Betty asked, her voice cracking as she spoke.

Flashback

"Can I ask you something?" Jughead asked as he shifted slightly beneath the covers, holding Betty in his arms, safe and sound. "Sure, what is it?" she replied with a smile, still basking in her afterglow. "What's your favorite flower?" he asked, softly brushing some hair from her face.

"Roses, why?" Betty replied softly. "Oh, nothing. It's just this thing my dad would do for my mom," Jughead answered, sitting up slightly as he cradled the blonde. "Every year on their anniversary, he would give my mom her favorite flower."

"I guess it's like a symbol that he still loves her; that he still cares. And it sounds stupid when I say it, but I was just thinking maybe I could keep that tradition alive," he paused slightly, meeting her eyes before continuing, "With you."

"I mean, if you wanted to--" "Jug?" Betty interrupted with a slight smile tugging at the corners of her lips. "Yeah?" "Shut up," she giggled, wrapping her arms around the back of his neck and pulling him in for a kiss.

End of Flashback

"Oh," was all the blonde could fathom to say as the red rose laid against the ground. He sighed as his eyes met the fallen flower. Their gazes met slowly, both heartbroken as Betty inhaled shakily. "Happy anniversary, Betts," Jughead spoke before he was walking off.

She stood alone, silent for a moment as tears fell from her eyes until Betty found it in her to pick the rose up from the ground. She stared at the rouged petals, slowly spinning the stem in her fingers as the words rang through her head:

"Happy anniversary, Betts."