Suicide

TW: attempted suicide

Never would she forget that moment. The lack of response after Betty had knocked on the trailer door for what had to have been the millionth time, calling his name from the other side. But he had given her a key beforehand that she carried with everywhere.

Never would she forget the moment the lock turned until she heard a click, grasping the doorknob and walking in. "Jug?" Betty called, looking around the living room and kitchen area. "Juggie?" Walking into his bedroom, there was no sign of him.

Never would she forget the small voice in her head that said, "He's here, keep looking." She wound up in the doorway of the bathroom, looking at the horrid sight of Jughead laying on the floor, his arm extended and his pulse hardly existent. 

"Come on, wake up. Wake up, Jug!" Betty cried, shaking his shoulder. With no response, she pulled out her phone and dialed three numbers. "911, what's your emergency?" "I-I need an ambulance sent to Sunnyside Trailer Park now. Right now. Please, it's urgent."

---

Jughead didn't remember the sirens or his distressed girlfriend in tears when she'd found him. He possessed no recollection of the ambulance ride to the hospital or anything from the past few hours.

His eyes opened slowly, registering the sight of a hospital room as he heard light crying from beside him and turned his head slowly. "Betty," Jughead's voice might have well been a whisper. "Jug!" she gasped, leaping out of her chair and kneeling on the floor beside his bed, taking his hand in hers. 

"I thought I lost you, Juggie. I thought I lost you for good," she cried. "Don't tell me you're the one who called 911," he said, slight anger in his voice. "Yeah, I was," Betty replied, her voice cracking. "Why would you do that?" Jughead asked as tears started forming in his eyes.

"You were dying, Jug. You barely had a pulse--" "That wasn't your decision to make," he said angrily. "It was mine. I made the decision that I didn't want to live anymore and you had no right to say otherwise."

"Jug," Betty sighed, now in tears. "I didn't want you to be gone." "Do you realize how incredibly selfish that is?" Jughead asked, his eyebrows furrowed in anger as all Betty could do was try not to irritate him. 

"You're asking me to suffer and go through all this pain and bullshit just so that you can feel good about yourself! Why is it you're now so suddenly interested in how I am? It shouldn't take a fucking suicide attempt for you to realize that I'm not fucking okay!" 

She stayed quiet for a second, trying to fathom the right words to say. "You told me for years you would do anything for me, anything I asked. I'm asking you to stay. I'm asking you to make an effort at recovery and get help because I cannot and will not live in a world where you're not by my side everyday," Betty cried.

"I'll think about it," he replied, using his hand to wipe away all the tears that managed to come out. "I'm sorry, Betts. I really am," Jughead sighed, gripping her hand tighter. She sniffled in response and nodded. "I am too," she sighed.

"I love you, babygirl. You shouldn't have had to see me like that." "I don't regret it," Betty said. "I don't regret any of it. I regret not noticing the signs. Because you were right, it shouldn't have taken this for the warning signs to go off. And I'm so sorry that I didn't know this was your life."

"I wasn't there for you," Betty sighed. "But I swear to you, from now on, I will be. You need me, I'm there. I don't care if we're 10 inches away or 3,000 miles apart, you call for me an I'll come running, okay?" Betty asked, sniffling then and again. "Okay."