Smile

Imagine not wanting to make a oneshot with Dandelionbaby based on a Ross Lynch song. Allsssoooo, Happy New Year's Eve, salty angels! I'm wishing you all the best in 2020!! Enjoy!

Song Credit: "Smile" by R5

"And then I was thinking we can go to that park you like," Jughead suggested, putting on his coat as Betty sat in the lounge chair by the window of their small New York apartment. "Yeah, that's fine," she replied, turning the page of her book. 

"Betts?" Jughead said with a small chuckle, watching as Betty lifted her head to meet his gaze. "Maybe want some pants on before we go outside?" he chuckled, seeing as she'd been sitting, legs crossed in only her beige sweater and boy short underwear.

"Yeah," she shrugged, getting up slowly and walking past him into their room. He followed her closely, leaning against the doorframe as she pulled on a pair of leggings before turning around. With a messy bun and sweater weather clothes, Betty walked past him to the door, grabbing her small bag and waiting for Jughead the front door. 

He opened it, waiting for the blonde to walk through before closing and locking it behind it. Betty looked at the cloudy sky with a small squint, her eyes trying to adjust to the new setting. "First stop--" "Coffee shop," Betty filled in, hinting that she was, in fact, listening when he stood in the apartment, describing his plan for the day. 

"That's my girl," he smiled, placing a gentle hand on her lower back as they walked into the small neighborhood cafe. Jughead had been big on coffee during high school but recently he'd been trying to ease off of it. 

Betty, on the other hand, was already reciting her order as soon as the two walked to the counter. She dug into her wallet for her wallet before a gentle hand stopped her, saying, "I got it," as Jughead pulled his wallet out of his back pocket. 

"I'll pay you back," Betty said quietly, her hands interlacing and fidgeting in front of her. "No need," he replied with a smile. She shot him a side glance, muttering a simple, "Please, Jug, let me pay you back," fingers fiddling with each other as the two walked down the sidewalk.

"Babe, it's okay. It's not like you inconvenienced me, alright?" Jughead reassured gently, holding her coffee cup for her as Betty crossed her arms, trying to keep herself warm. "Do you need my jacket?"

She nodded meekly, mumbling, "Thanks," as he covered her shoulders with his flannel. He flicked her cheek softly, smiling at her before his hand landed on the small of her back; a kiss placed on her forehead as the two walked in unison down the block.

"Next, it's--" "The bookstore," Betty answered, her hands in the front pockets of his flannel. Jughead smiled down at the blonde, an arm draped over her shoulder. "Hey," he said softly, making her look up. 

"I love you," Jughead said, his hand moving from her shoulder to her hair. "I love you too," Betty returned, reaching up for a kiss. There was sincerity in her words and actions, but still, her expression remained stoic.

Jughead knew that Betty loved him entirely, which was enough for him to get through the day. His hand landed on the back of her neck as they continued to walk, fingers massaging gently as the two idly talked.

Jughead reached for the handle of the bookstore's door, waiting for Betty to walk through before following her in. She took her coffee from his hands, taking a sip as she roamed through the shelves of books. 

"See anything?" Jughead asked as Betty's eyes scanned over titles and authors. "I'll let you know if I do," she reassured, turning her head to look up at him. "I'm just gonna look over at this section, hon," Jughead told her before walking back to the mystery aisle. 

She simply nodded, rubbing a fingertip along the spines of the books. "Hmm," she hummed to herself, picking up a small book; a poetry collection. She put it under her arm before heading towards the mystery novel section where Jughead stood, skimming over the words of Stephen King.

His fingers nearly cradled the binding of the book, his other finger skimming the summary of the text. He nodded to himself, clearly amused with the plot, before he realized her standing there. "You find something?" Jughead asked, gesturing to her book of poetry. 

She nodded before saying, "You?" "Maybe, I can't tell yet," Jughead sighed, putting the book back on the shelf. "There's always next time," he said with a smile, draping an arm around Betty and pulling her in. 

She nodded, watching as once again he took out his wallet for her book. "No, Jug," she shook her head as the two walked up the counter. "Let me, please." "Betts, it's okay. Just let me treat you," Jughead reassured as Betty hesitantly set her book on the checkout counter with a sigh. "I just feel bad."

"We're in this together," he said softly as the cashier walked towards the front. He placed a kiss to her temple and drew her in closer to his side, mumbling, "My treat," against the crown of her head.

She nodded solemnly as the cashier put the receipt in the bag. "You're letting me pay for everything from now on," she said with a raised eyebrow. He chuckled in response, gently sliding his hand over her back before responding, "Let's just hold off on that." 

He took the small plastic bag from the counter before leading his blonde out of the small, bookstore. "We're going to the park now, right?" Betty asked. "Yep," Jughead replied enthusiastically, rubbing her back with small soothing circles. 

"'Kay," she responded, leaning her head on his shoulder as they walked. "Why are you doing all of this for me?" Betty asked after a minute or two of silence, their fingers interlaced as she continued leaning on him. 

"I just thought you deserved something nice," Jughead answered with a smile, placing a small kiss on her temple. "You're too good to me, Jug," Betty sighed, rubbing her cheek against his shoulder. "No, you just deserve the world, Betts," he returned with a smile.

She shook her head against his shoulder, replying, "That's too much." She took her coffee from his hand, taking a sip and raising her head as the two reached the park, finding a picnic table amongst the green grass to sit at.

"No, it's not," he said gruffly but playfully. Betty scoffed underneath her breath but didn't push it. "You're too much sometimes," she sighed. "But you love me," Jughead teased, pulling her closer. "I do."

The already gray clouds in the sky seemed to turn a hue darker, making Jughead look up and sigh before bringing his gaze back to his blonde, sitting on the bench with her straw in her mouth. 

"Hey, Betts, I think it's gonna rain." "Really?" Betty asked with wide eyes. "Yeah, maybe we should head--" Before he could finish his sentence, Jughead was interrupted by raindrops falling one by one down from the clouds. She looked up, only to have her face greeted with rain.

"Betts, I'm sorry. I didn't know it was going to rain," Jughead sighed before looking at his blonde. She was smiling. There, Betty stood, giggling with her eyes facing the sky, her hands out, palms holding puddles of rain.

"Betty?" Jughead chuckled, walking back behind the blonde to see her smile; that damn smile could make someone weak in the knees. "Jug, it's so pretty!" she said happily, bringing her head back down, their gazes meeting as she brought both hands to the sides of his face, bringing his lips to hers passionately.

He smiled, his arms wrapping around her waist as she grinned. "I love you Juggie. And thank you for everything you do for me." "You're welcome, baby. Anything for you." He pulled back, feeling Betty's arms wrap around him while all he could do was stand there and watch her smile.