Chapter 46

Chapter 46

Finnick Pov.

Have you ever kept just one secret from the person that knows everything about you? One secret that you didn't share because you knew it would only hurt them. I have, and that secret is starting to eat me alive. From the inside, out. And I know the only way to stop this horrible feeling is to tell Annie but I can't, I can't tell her a secret I've kept ever since I was seventeen. I can't. She would hate me. But I need to tell her, don't I?

My one and only secret was about someone from the Capitol. She reminded me so much of Annie, and I didn't love her, but I liked her. And I saw her every time I was in the Capitol. We'd always go to dinner, enjoy each others' company. I could talk to her, and she knew so many of Snow's secrets. I was interested to talk to her. She was so smart, and funny. And she didn't dress like normal Capitol people.

Obviously I love Annie more, which is why if seems impossible to tell her the truth. Yes, I did have a slight crush on this girl. But number one, I don't think she liked me back. Number two, I love Annie.

And the only reason I ever hung out with her, was because she acted like Annie. She was like a second Annie. And I know that sounds wrong, and some people would say there should only be one Annie. But the two are so similar, they could be sisters.

Why am I worrying about this now? You might ask. Well that's because she called, to see how I was doing.

This girl knows about Annie, and she didn't know I liked her. I told her I was married with two kids, and all about Finn and Maggie.

She said she was happy for me, but there was something odd with how she said it. And a second issue, she wants to meet my family.

How am I supposed to explain this?

Hey Annie, I know I told you I didn't have feelings for anyone in the Capitol, but that was a lie. Now this girl is coming to meet you, okay?

No not gonna happen. I told her it was busy with my son's wedding and all. She said maybe some other time and I agreed.

And when I first started hanging out with her, and I mentioned Annie, she looked like she recognized the name.

But I ignored it, I hate when things come back to haunt me, or bite me right where it hurts. I know nothing good is going to come from this. And it scares me to death.

What if this one lie, ruins my whole life?

-----------------------------

Annie Pov.

After I drop Maggie off at school, I walk home and hear Finnick, I peak in the window to see what he's doing and he's on the phone. So me, being me, I listen.

"Yea, what am I supposed to do, Xavier?" He says. "Yea, but she won't be happy if she finds out I haven't told her, and if Alexa decides to show up uninvited how do I explain?" he keeps questioning. "No, I love Annie, I don't even care about Alexa anymore,"

What? Anymore?

"I'm happy with my life but I don't want to hurt her, I don't know, Xavier. It might be best if I didn't say anything, if she shows up I'll come up with something."

I start to cry.

"Okay, bye."

I burst through the door and slap Finnick.

"Whoa, whoa!"

"You've been lying to me, this entire time!"

"Annie, what have I done? Annie I'm sorry, I'm really sorry-"

"You weren't even gonna tell me! You could've told me the night after the wedding in thirteen but you didn't! Because you're a coward. I wouldn't have left you if you could've just told me the truth!"

"Annie, I didn't want to hurt you,"

"Well too bad, looks like you did,"

"Annie, Annie don't leave, I love you more than anything on this earth,"

"Why don't you go talk to Alexa? Seems like you had a back up plan in case we didn't work out or something,"

"No! No, she wasn't a back up plan at all, I can promise you that. You don't understand how lonely I was in the Capitol, and she looked so much like you and acted so much like you, I needed someone to be there for me."

"Is that supposed to make me feel better? That you only spent time with her because she acted and looked like me. Because it doesn't. And you even told me on the roof in the Capitol you loved me because I was different. But I guess that's a lie too since you found someone just like me!"

"Annie, I love you, and the whole reason this came up was because she called-"

"She called?!" I yell. "You gave her our number?! What if one of our kids answered the phone, or even worse for you, I did. Would she lie for you?! I'm sure she would, if she has the small amount of decency to hang around with a guy who was engaged and liked her. I can't even believe I'm finding out about this from hearing a phone call, a phone call! This is by far the worst thing you've ever done to me. I have worked so hard to keep us together, long distance, fighting, giving you my trust, I can't believe you didn't do any of it! You weren't able to resist one girl, and guess what Finnick? I was asked out too you know? And I said no. And I said no every-time. The only guy I hung out with when you were away, was the other victors. I can't believe you did this!" I cry and cry so hard I can't see. Finnick is crying too, but his are of sadness. Mine are tears of anger and betrayal.

"Annie, I'm not saying what I did was okay, but nothing happened, nothing happened at all,"

"You're so lying to me. And even if you're not, how am I supposed to believe you?"

He walks over to me, trying to give me a hug and I push him.

Tears fall out of my eyes as I force these words out of my mouth, "Stay away from me,"

"Annie," he's on his knees in front of me. "Please, please, I love you, don't let my one stupid mistake ruin this, please,"

"I didn't let it ruin this! You did! If you just told her no, none of this would've happened! It's like the thing with Sarah but worse!"

"I love you Annie,"

"Is that all you have to say?!" I yell.

"I'm saying it to you so that you know."

And I cry more and more and more. My husband, my best friend, my Finnick has been keeping all of this from me.

"I need to get away from here for awhile,"

"Annie, don't leave, please,"

"I'm not necessarily leaving you," he lets out a relieved sigh. "I just need to get out of here for awhile, and I think I'll bring Maggie."

"No, Annie, you can't leave me here alone, I hate being alone! I've been alone enough in my life, please, I'll watch Maggie."

"Since you'll be so lonely," I shake my head at this girl's name. "Just call Alexa back."

"Annie I don't love Alexa, I love you. Haven't you ever had one crush?"

I can't believe he's asking this.

"Yea! I did! You know who my first was?! You! You idiot! So I'm glad to know that you're stupid enough to not know that you were," I correct myself. "You are the only guy I've liked, and loved. And it doesn't matter that you might've liked girls before me, but girls after me?!" I'm still so in shock. "I'm going to pack mine and Maggie's bags,"

"Annie, wait!"

"What Finnick?!"

He runs over to me before I can react and kisses me, and I feel comforted, but realize why I'm mad and stressed in the first place so I pull away.

"I'm leaving, I'll be back in a week."

I cry as I walk up the stairs.