Part 17

Continuing with Zane's POV

The morning after the party I feel terrible. I yelled at my friends, I was unbelievable apologetic afterwards but nothing can help with how much I yelled. I learnt on thing about being an adult, it's hard when you're 'that' couple without a child while everyone else around you have no issue. "Right, I'm ready for my interview now," Emiko smiled as she walked into the kitchen. I looked over, she had her hair tied up in a messy bun and no makeup. Natural, I like this look. "Is your dad still coming over today?"

She walked over to me, leaning on the counter, looking up. "I'm thirty years old and dad still seems to think I need the talk," I laughed. My dad was visiting to in his words 'have a man to man' talk before the big day.

"Hey, my mother still calls me every day," She said. "Well, its every other day, thank Ra. But aside that, talking to your dad will do you good. Afterall, you've been a bit down recently." I sighed running a hand through my hair. "He only cares about you. There's a bottle of whisky in the bottom cupboard if you guys want a drink."

"My medication-"

"The doctor said a single glass shouldn't hurt," She interrupted. "I didn't tell you yesterday because Atticus is a bad influence and would go that extra mile." With that said she gave me a quick kiss a sound of a horn was heard. "That's my ride. Wish me luck."

"Have a good day." I watched her leave before checking the time on my phone. Dad should be here in an hour or so. I started to contemplate actually opening that whiskey. I shouldn't, I really shouldn't but I want to. I hate being an adult.

While waiting for dad I did some paperwork in the living room, the television on low in the background. I was brought out of my thoughts when I heard the door click open. Honestly, knocking is a common curtesy. First Atticus then my dad, honestly people these days. "In the Living room dad," I called out filing away the bits of work that were completed. I feel bad leaving Syrus alone for the next few days but he said he didn't mind. As dad entered the room, he tapped my shoulder in hello, a small smile on his face. Dad sat next to me, pushing his glasses up. "I feel like this is about to get serious."

"It is," Dad let out a small 'hmph' lying back into the sofa. "My eldest son is about to be married, it's a very big deal. You haven't spoken much about it recently, not having cold feet, are you?"

"I wouldn't survive if I was having those thoughts," I laughed, I then groaned rubbing my temple. "What's the real reason you're here dad? You don't just stop by like this."

I felt a hand on my back and my dad pulled me into a hug. I'm a thirty-year-old man getting hugs off his old man, this feels strange. "Before you saw the news online figured I'd be the one to tell you. Your cousin, Keira, she's pregnant."

I stood up and just stared at my dad. Keira, she's a binge drinking cheating, "Ah that," I couldn't form full sentences in my anger. "Why her? She's cheated on every partner, nearly had her first child taken off her because of alcohol and what she's allowed another one! Tell me in what way that's fair huh?"

"Your cousin Chris, his partner his pregnant too," Dad continued. "I'm sorry son. I thought you need to here in person." I bit my lip. Others around keep getting pregnant, keep degrading me as a man. I grabbed fistfuls of my hair, falling to the floor crying. I felt my dad place a hand on my shoulders and his head against mine. "Calm down Zane. Your heart needs to stay steady."

"I'm just a failure of a man aren't I?" I cried. "I can't give my wife a child, who deserves it more then anyone!"

Dad brought me back to the sofa. "Listen to me," he said sternly. "A child doesn't define you as a man. You and Emiko tried and unfortunately the reality is you can't create on. It takes a boy for be a dad but a man o be a father."

"But I can't even do that," I snapped.

"I'm trying to say, adoption is an option," I looked up at him smiling at me. "In this world there's so many child who aren't being given a fair chance at life, you my son, could give on of those children the chance. Sure there's IVF treatments but the success rates are so variable that it's not always worth the money."

Adoption? The idea hasn't crossed my mind before. I finally started to calm down, along with my heart settling. "You'd be okay, knowing that the child isn't biologically ours?" I asked earning a nod.

"You never know," he started. "Perhaps Emiko wants it too. If you really want to be a family then I think that would be a nice way to go about it."

Dad and I talked for a few more hours before he left. I had time to think for myself. Adoption? Taking a child in that needs love. Dad had a solid argument, I told him I saved money up to try IVF but when it comes down to it, if we tried three times and all of them failed, we could have used to that money for something more practical. "I'm home," Emiko brought me out of my thoughts as she walked through the door. I heard her go straight to the kitchen so I followed. "I figured pork would be good for dinner."

I smiled, taking a seat at the island. "How was the interview?"

"Um, it was okay," She sighed looking at me. "Usual stuff and trying to get details about the wedding and any next projects coming up. Did things go okay with your dad?"

I shrugged. "I found out a couple of my cousins are having kids again," Her face dropped. "But we also talked about well-" Emiko's face grew concerned as she leant over the counter taking my hand. "Dad asked if we thought about adoption."

She blushed gripping onto my hands. "I'd be lying, if I said it hadn't crossed my mind," She admitted. "I wasn't sure if you would be happy with it."

"Actually, I like the idea," Her eyes lit up as a I spoke. "We could adopt a child who needs us and give them a good home and a happy life."

She quickly ran around the island grabbing onto me tightly. "So, we're going to go for it?" She cried. "Really?"

I nodded grabbing hold of her face. "Let's adopt once we're married."

"Oh Zane," She cried more. "I'm so happy. We-we're going to be a family."

"Yeah, we are."

——

AN - going back to Jaden's POV next