Christmas Special

Koyo’s First Christmas

---
Jaden’s POV
I groaned, rolling over to the sound of crying. My instincts kicked in, making me sit up and looking over to the other side of my bed where the cot sat. I smiled to myself as I leant over picking up the little bundle and holding him close in my arms. “Good morning Koyo,” I greeted with a yawn. “You hungry? Let’s get you a bottle.”

I stood up holding my little baby tightly. My little boy Koyo was born just a few months ago and now we’re getting ready for his first Christmas. I never realised how expensive the first Christmas would be, especially since its only been a few months since he came into this world. After calming him down a bit, I placed Koyo into the cot that I had in the kitchen and started to make his bottle. As things boiled, I turned to the tv, flicking to the news. It was talking about how the top duellists have been this season making me sigh. Falling pregnant meant my pro career went on hold so I'm not as high on the list as I should be.  Syrus made it into the top 15 duellists, Zane and Aster making it to the top ten. Everyone seems to be going well for them. I have to say they’ve been really supportive of me being a young single parent. Syrus helped me with my scans while my friend Emiko came with me to my pre-natal appointments. I’ve come to realised how lucky I am that my friends have come through for me even after everything I’ve put them through.

After his feed Koyo was soon back asleep. Lucky kid, I laughed to myself. I sighed, taking this opportunity to clean up and grab my tablet to start looking for presents. I can’t really afford much at the moment but luckily my parents are sending some presents for me for him and I'm sure some other people are going to give also.

Unfortunately, I won’t be with my parents this Christmas as they are going away to see my aunt and I can’t really travel with a new born. I sighed, disappointed that I can’t be with my family got Koyo’s first Christmas. I jumped as my phone began to ring, I forgot to put it on silent, I looked around Koyo still asleep as I pressed accept. Thank goodness. “Hey Emiko,” I whispered, trying to keep the noise to a minimum. “What’s up?”

“I just wanted to check up on you,” I could tell she was smiling on the other end. “Also, I need a shopping buddy so was thinking you and I could head into town. Some of the deals have started to come up that you were looking at a couple weeks ago.”

Deals huh? I thought for a moment. Might be a good idea and I could take Koyo to see Santa. I smiled, at least it gives me something to do today now. “Sure, give me an hour to get me and Koyo ready,” I said.

“Sure, I'm still in my pjs anyway,” I laughed, typical. “See you in an hour.”

---

In town, Koyo was quiet luckily. He seemed entranced by the decorations around the stores. I managed to order him a rocking horse and a new play pen for the living room. I’m so glad the stores can deliver. “Why is Zane so hard to shop for?” Emiko groaned as we made our way through the shopping centre. I couldn’t help but laugh. “All I've got him so far is a new wash bag for his travels and that’s it. Koyo is so much easier to buy for and he can’t even tell me what he wants.”

“I can imagine when he starts talking, he’ll have a whole list of stuff,” I joked. I looked up, seeing we’d made it to the grotto. “Why don’t we go see Santa?”

“Great idea,” Emiko cheered. “Why don’t we get extra photos for your parents as a Christmas present?”

“You know, that’s not a bad shout,” I smiled and we made our way to Santa. It was a beautifully decorated grotto and gave a nostalgic feel. We were called next and I picked Koyo up from the pushchair after handing Emiko my phone. Koyo’s face looked confused as we approached Santa. I sat on the small stool next to Santa with Koyo on my lap.

I felt my heart well with happiness watching Koyo play with Santa’s hand. “What’s your name little one?” Santa asked.

“This is Koyo,” I introduced. “And he likes big kitties, don’t you?” I laughed as Koyo had deemed to get into tigers and lions over the past month. His personality is showing through slowly.

“Would you like a big kitty cat for Christmas this year?” Santa asked and I nodded for Koyo.

We had our photo taken and Koyo was given a little present from Santa before we started the journey home. “I’ll check to see if the printers can do a deal for the photo for you,” Emiko said as we walked back to my apartment. “It was lovely seeing you and Koyo interact with Santa.”

“I really enjoyed taking him,” I said. “You know, this whole being a parent thing, isn’t so bad and I can’t wait for Christmas this year.”

---

Christmas day came and my present today was a lie in. I’m so happy, Koyo slept for a good few solid hours since his night feed and I feel a bit more refreshed. We made it to the kitchen and I started to prepare his breakfast when my bell rang. Confused, I walked over to the door, looking through the peep hole and my eyes widened. Zane, Syrus in a Santa hat and Emiko were standing outside. I quickly opened the door to be greeted with a “Merry Christmas!”

I felt tears come to my eyes. My friends came all this way for me? “We couldn’t let you and Koyo spend Christmas alone,” Zane said looking up from his chair. Every now and then, he still needs the chair while in recovery. “We brought cake.”

“But, but what about your families?” I asked still in shock.

“Mom and dad are on vacation this year,” Syrus expalined.

“And my family don’t land until this evening so we figured we’d spend it with you Jay,” Emiko spoke softly. “You're family after all.”

I invited them in, Syrus placing a large gift bag down by my tree before going to Koyo and sitting on the floor with him while Emiko and Zane went to the kitchen to place the food away until later on. I tried to keep the tears in as I joined Koyo and Syrus on the floor being shortly joined by Zane and Emiko.

I placed Koyo into my lap allowing Syrus to reach into the bag and passing Koyo and I some presents to open. I helped Koyo to open his present of a large tiger plush and looked at Emiko. “Thank you,” I hiccupped. “Not just for his present but for coming here today.”

Syrus leant over hugging me from behind and Emiko kissed my cheek.  I’m so glad in the end Koyo has spent his first Christmas with his family.