Part 28

Zane’s POV

Why am I more nervous today then I was on my wedding day? More then, I was asking Emiko out on our first date? More then, I was when I went for my Duel Academy entrance exam?

Currently Emiko and I are in the reception area of one of the children’s homes, ready to meet some of the children looking for a home. Emiko giggled as she grabbed my hand and leant into my shoulder. “No need to be nervous,” She spoke softly. “It’s just meeting a few kids. We do this all the time with meet and greets.”

“Yeah but we were potentially adopting any other them,” I sighed. “I mean how will we know this is the child we want to adopt? I had an easier time choosing Gonzo.”

She couldn’t help but laugh at me. “At the risk of sound like Aster,” She started. “Destiny will have a way of telling us.”

That certainly does sound like an Aster thing to say but I guess in a weird way, she’s right. I nodded holding onto her hand tightly. I’m not what it will be like meeting the child we’re going to adopt who how we’ll know they are the, without sounding like a bad person, ‘the child for us’ but I’m sure we’ll just know. Like Emiko says. The two of us looked up, seeing the house manager and social worker, Ms. McKenzie join us. “Would the two of you like to come through?” We nodded to each other before making our way to meet the kids.

After about an hour we were in the kitchen, back from meeting the children. I felt a bit awkward honestly. Am I meant to feel an instant bond with one of the kids? Is that how this works? “How do you both feel after that?” Ms McKenzie asked, a soft look in her eyes. We both looked at each other silent. “I understand. It’s strange at first but if you come by more, you’ll develop of bond with them.”

“You make it sound so simple,” Emiko laughed nervously. “Please excuse me, I need to use the rest room.”

She left swiftly, leaving me to think over things. “Don't worry Mr. Truesdale,” MS. McKenzie smiled. “I assure you’ll find a child. Something tells me that you and Emiko were meant to have a child from here.”

She sounds just like Aster. I excused myself, going off to find Emiko so we could talk more privately. I stopped, feeling like something stopped me. I looked to my right and opened the door. If I remember this led to the reading room the children have. I opened the door just a crack and saw Emiko kneeling on the floor and leaning over the shoulder of a child. I know this feeling. While I can’t see a duel spirit I can still feel their presences in a way. Too nervous to go into the room I just sat and listened. “Seeing duel spirits doesn’t make you weird,” Emiko said moving a bit of white hair from the child’s face. “It makes you special.”

“It does?" The child asked.

I smiled walking into the room, knocking on the door to let them know I was there. Emiko smiled waving me over to sit with them. “Shiro, this is my husband,” Emiko introduced me.

I looked down, seeing Shiro looking nervous and shy. Kind of reminds me of Syrus. “Nice to meet you,” I said. “I’m Zane. Shiro was it?” He nodded. “Tell me Shiro, how old are you?” He held up the digits on his hand, showing his age. “Seven. That’s pretty young to be seeing duel spirits. You really are special.”

“R-really?”

I nodded. “I don’t see them but I know they only choose the people they like,” I spoke ruffling his hair. He reminds me of Syrus with light white hair and blue eyes. “Is that why we didn’t see you earlier?”

“People think I'm weird,” I mumbled looking at the floor.

“We don't think so,” Emiko smiled.

“Say Shiro. Why don’t you tell us more about yourself?” I asked kneeling down to his height.

After speaking and playing for a while, Shiro joined MS. McKenzie at the door as the two waved us goodbye. As we left Shiro asked us to come back and see him soon. It was right there and then we agreed to come back to the home next week to spend more time with Shiro. We got into the car, both of us feeling calmer then this morning. Then it hit me. “Say, how did you know he was in there?” I asked as Emiko fastened her seatbelt.

“I felt a similar duel presence in the room,” She shrugged it off as if it was nothing. “Guess the spirits were telling me I should go meet him. What about you?”

“I guess you could say the same,” I laughed at the coincidence. “Got to say you were right though about just knowing when he met him.”

“Shiro Truesdale.” Emiko mused holding a finger to her chin. “I think it sounds nice.”

“Me too.”  We both leant in, grabbing each other's hands. Looks like we’ll be a family sooner than later.