Part 30

Jaden’s POV

14:00 o’clock and the part is in full swing. We’re still missing some guests but that’s to be expected. Zane and Emiko we’re running late as they had to pick up the cake order I placed but I’m not sure about Atticus and Rose. I’m sure Lily would love to be running around with the other children and having some fun but looks like she’s being made to wait.

Currently I’m sat in the living room with the mothers while Jesse is cooking in the garden with all the fathers.  I was being cooed over at every moment. I’m starting to think some of these mothers are getting broody. I jumped as the doorbell rang. Please let it be someone who can get me out this situation. I excused myself from the ladies and went to the door. “Thank God you’re here,” I whispered seeing Emiko and Zane standing at the door. I took a moment as I spotted a young white-haired child clinging to Zane’s leg. I smiled bending down to his height. “Well, this cutie must be Shiro?”

Zane let out a chuckle, grabbing Shiro’s hand. “Shiro, this is our friend Jaden,” Zane introduced.

“H-hi,” Shiro stuttered. Wow, he’s almost like a mini Syrus with his shyness.

I stood back up fully, holding my back as I did. “Thanks for bringing the cakes with you,” I sighed as the three of them in, Shiro still holding Zane’s hand.  “Jesse is in the garden, watching the kids. Someone thought it was a good idea to get the kids water pistols.”

“Oh dear,” Emiko laughed. “Sammy up to her usual tricks huh?” Sammy, was the ‘it’ mother who liked to try cause trouble at other parties. Her husband and son are lovely though so not sure why she is the way she is. “Ignore her. Besides, it’s Koyo’s big birthday.”

I sighed as we made it into the kitchen. “I know you’re right.” I smiled looking down at Shiro who was looking into the garden. “If you’re like, you can join them.” The invitation almost made Shiro retreat behind Zane. Poor kid really is shy.

I watched as Zane knelt down to his height. “What if I come outside with you?” He offered with a big smile. “Would that make you feel comfortable?”

Shiro nodded. “Ms Emiko, will you come play too?”

Emiko smiled gently. “I'm going to help with the food first,” She explained patting his head. “Then I’ll be straight outside. Zane’s pretty good in a water fight, you know? So, you better run fast.” 

Shiro laughed as Zane took him outside. “You guys seem to be bonding well with him,” I commented as Emiko and I got the rest of the buffet ready. “He seems a really sweet.”

“He is,” Emiko confirmed. “He’s definitely shy though. It took him a while before he got the courage to hold Zane’s hand, now he can’t seem to let go.” I couldn’t help but chuckle. “By the way, he sees duel spirits.”

I stopped in my tracks. What were the odds and the two of them meeting a child who could see duel spirits? Then I thought about it. It would be good for Koyo. He’s kept seeing duel spirits from his friends as they don’t see them, so having a friend who does would be good for him. “That’s certainly something I didn’t expect,” I laughed it off. “At least Koyo won’t be the only one. How old is he?”

Emiko went on to tell me he was 7 and that he was currently in a school on the other side of town. Meaning when they adoption was official, they needed to transfer him to Koyo’s school which is in their district. We continued to chat until Emiko was called outside by Koyo. I encouraged her to go outside and play, the plates were light enough that I could carry them outside to the table.

I opened the double doors as I called to the mums and kids in the livingroom to come out as the foo would be ready soon. As I started to place things onto the table Koyo ran up to me, hugging my leg tightly. I laughedturning and hugging him tightyl. “That’s quite the big love I just got,” I joked.

“Because this is the best birthday ever!” He chimed with a grin. “Because I have you and daddy now and next year we’ll have the babies.”

My heart fluttered. Koyo never did really talk about having a daddy until the past 12 months so I never paid much attention to it. Guess having Jesse here is like a birthday present in its own right for him. “I’m glad you’re enjoying it,” I smiled. “Why don’t you grab your friends for some food, then we can have cake and presents?”

He ran off cheering, Jesse coming over to me next. “I can’t repay you enough for the great job you’ve done raising him,” Jesse blushed praising me.

“Well I can’t apologise en-”

“Don’t start that again,” Jesse laughed stopping me mid-sentence. “What’s done is done and we’re a family now.”

I nodded leaning into him. I jumped feeling a buzz from my pocket. I reached for the phone, checking the call I.D. Lexi?  “Hey lex, what’s up?”

“Um, sorry about this, are you okay if I come with Lily today?” She asked nervously. Originally Lex couldn’t make it because of a work commitment so maybe she’s a bit embarrassed. “Atticus and Rose, well, I can explain later. Are you okay with me and Lilly?”

“You guys make your way here,” I tried to keep a happy tone. “We’ve just started putting the food out but I think we can hold you some.”

“Thanks Jay,” I heard her sigh. “We’ll be there in about 30 minutes.”

I hung up the phone looking to Jesse. “I’m not sure what’s going on but Lex is bringing Lily,” I explained.

“Well that’s Atticus and Rose’s fault for missing out,” Jesse shrugged. “Now, why don’t you come sit down. You and the twins must me tired.”

I laughed, well whatever the problem is, I'm sure it’ll work itself out.