Part 27

Jesse's POV

Twins? I still can’t believe it. Me and Jay, twins. A ten-year-old, new born twins and a new house. That’s a lot in a few months. We’re back at the apartment now. The sonogram picture nestled in-between my fingers as Jay brought Koyo through the front door. We decided we needed to sit down and tell him together what was going to happen as a family and how the next few months are going to be a bit of a whirlwind.

Tomorrow we sign for the mortage on the house and settle a moving date. The seller agreed to the three weeks fortunately so hopefully we move in time for Koyo’s birthday. Jay smiled at me as he led a confused Koyo to sit in between us. “Wh-whats going on?” He stuttered.

“It’s nothing bad,” Jay assured wrapping his arm around Koyo. “In fact, it’s really good news.”

“Really?” Koyo’s eyes lit up.

“Well, the house we saw the other day, that’s going to be our new home,” Jay continued and Koyo waved his arms in a cheer, nearly hitting me in my face. “Now Daddy can show you a special photo?”

I smiled placing the sonogram in Koyo’s hands. He looked at it confused, obviously having never seen one. “That’s a picture of papa’s stomach,” I said pointing to the two little bean shaped blobs. “And those there, are your little brothers or sisters.”

He continued to stare at the picture a little longer, trying to process what I said. He let out a gasp and Jaden and I laughed. Think it just clicked. “I’m going to be a big brother!” He cheered, jumping from the sofa. “And there’s going to be two babies?”

“That’s right,” I said. “So, that means you’re going to have to show what a good big brother you can be.”

“I'll help out lots,” Koyo promised. “And I’ll be the best big brother ever!”

Jaden told him he could keep the picture to show his friends before Koyo ran off to but it safely in his room. “He took that much better than I thought,” Jaden sighed holding onto his stomach. “It’s been just me and him for a long time and now we have you and two new babies.”

“Y-you’re happy about that right?” I asked nervously.

“Of course,” He beamed. “And I'm happy I get to share this experience with you this time.” He leant over, grabbing my hand. “There’s no more miscommunication so no one ever needs to miss out again.”

I nodded. “Every appointment, decorating the nursery, picking names,” I listed just some of the things I get to be a part of this time and Jaden nodded to all of them. “Say, Koyo’s last name is Yuki right?” Jay nodded. “Well, I assume with the twins, they’ll be Anderson, wont they?”

“Oh,” Jaden bit his lip. Clearly, he hadn’t thought that far through. “Well, wouldn’t the twins be named Yuki too? I mean we aren't married.”

“Wait,” I exclaimed. “Don’t you want the kids to have my name?”

“What, no that’s not what I meant,” he panicked. “Wouldn’t it be better for the kids to all have the same name?”

“Of course,” I agreed. “Then, couldn’t we change Koyo’s name? And maybe yours?”

Jaden blushed deeply. “You’ve just got divorced!”

“We could do a civil partnership,” I tried to explain that if we did that, we’d have similar rights as a married couple and should anything happen to the other, we’d be covered. “It’s not getting married, it’s protecting us and our family. I think that we should all have the same name.”

“That would be nice,” Jaden mumbled, his blush still apparent. “And since we wouldn’t be married, we could still do that later down the line. When the twins are older.”

“See?” I patted his leg leaning in and kissing him. “Just think about it. It will take a while to have Koyo’s name changed anyway.”

Jay once silent for a moment before speaking back up. “Let’s move into the new house and have the twins first. Afterwards, I may consider the civil partnership.”

I felt my heart flutter.  It’s not marriage, like I originally intended all those years ago but it was something. “Well, on another note, let’s plan for Koyo’s birthday too. It’ll be important to have a backup plan in case we’re not in the house.”

“I’d ask Zane and Emiko but they’ve got a lot going on with the adoption process,” He sighed. “And the apartment isn’t big enough for a class of fourth graders.”

“That does seem troublesome,” I moaned then shrugged. “We’ll figure it out.”

“Like we always do,” Jaden laughed, moving position so I could wrap my arms around him and his head was in my chest. I moved on of my hands to his stomach. Their first kick, steps and first words, I'll see them all this time and I’ll get to share them with the one I love.