Chapter 40.5

When Shigaraki came over, Chisaki put me in charge of looking after Eri while he sent someone out to buy a gift for her. Still trying to buy her trust... I thought as Eri braided my hair to the scalp. "Mommy?" Eri called, interrupting my thoughts. I hummed in response, prompting her to proceed. "The other day, when I tried to run away... Why did that hero call you that? It looked like they both knew you..." She asked, parting my hair. "Ah, well... Like I said that day, he was mistaken. I probably just look like someone they knew." I replied. Smart kid... That's my girl. Thankfully, Eri just went along with it and didn't push the subject any further. "Done!" She called after a short while, seeming pretty satisfied with her work. I looked in the mirror at the braids she did, pretty impressed with her progress. "You did it! It looks so good!" I complemented, giving Eri a hug. Eri attempted to force a smile, but she simply couldn't. "Ah... What is it? How do you smile again?" She asked, shattering my heart. She's never been happy before... She doesn't know that feeling. I thought giving her a sad smile. "You'll know how to when the time is right, sweetheart. One day, someone's gonna come along and show you how. Don't try to force it." I replied, putting her hair in a braid.

~

Kirishima's POV~

Most of us guys were in the common area when Midoriya finally walked in. He was spaced out as usual. For the past few days, the dude's been out of it. He was already out of it when D went missing, but lately it's even more so... Something happened. And he was definitely on that internship when it did. Bakugou has definitely been down since D was taken. He's been trying to hide it, but he's definitely less rowdy than usual. He doesn't even speak as much as he used to. He blocks everyone out and solely focuses on training. He even ignores me. The only one he actually speaks to outside of the teachers is Dokashi. I've been worried about D too, but I'm not gonna mope around! It's not what she'd want me to do. She wouldn't want any of us to do that... "Kirishima, I need to talk to you about something..." Midoriya said, interrupting my thoughts. "Sure man." I replied, hoping he would finally be letting stuff off his chest. I got up and followed him to a place outside. It wasn't off campus, but it was pretty far from the building.

"Whaddya need to tell me, man?" I asked when we came to a stopping point. "Before I say this... You have to promise me you won't tell anyone." He said, his voice trembling as he faced me. "You have my word." I replied, showing him both my hands so he'd see that my fingers weren't crossed. "Dia... Is with the Eight Fold Cleansers. They're holding her hostage along with this little girl. I ran into them while I was on patrol, and she was with their leader. The leader called Dia-chan his wife. She was all cut up and bruised. Her hair! They cut her hair! She looked so... So emotionless. Yet scared at the same time. Kirishima, they're torturing the both Dia-chan and abusing a little girl. Dia-chan... Denied who she was when I called out to her... And told me that her name was Gaea." Midoriya said, getting angrier and angrier with each sentence. The information hit me like a truck. D... Tortured...? Abusing a little girl?... WIFE?! I was beyond pissed. "Why didn't you do anything?" I asked as calmly as I could. He spoke to her and everything! He could've... "She was WITH the leader, holding his hand. He claimed that the little girl was their daughter and we had to avoid suspicion since we're investigating them. And if Dia-chan had only recognized me... Or responded to her name... I could've done something! But she... " he trailed off, clenching his fists as he glared at the ground. "Do you think she's working with them?!" I asked, feeling myself get angry. Midoriya shook his head. "No! She might be brainwashed. Or maybe....!" He exclaimed before going on a mumbling spree. After a short while, he finally looked up. "I think she was protecting us. Dia-chan seemed so afraid of him and I've never seen Dia-chan afraid of anyone! She was wrapped in bandages from her neck to her ankles. To be someone strong enough to scare Dia-chan... She isn't even afraid of death! He has her wrapped around his finger. She wants to be saved... An we'll save her with this investigation." He said, holding his fist out. I fist bumped him and gave a firm nod. "You better. I'm not supposed to know about it, remember? So save her for the both of us." I replied. Midoriya gave me a determined smile and we went back to the dorms.

I couldn't sleep knowing that D was being tortured. She had already been through enough. She's such a strong willed person that someone breaking her down on a mental level seems impossible. That day we spent on the roof together when she passed out for three days she told me about her past. Had I been in her shoes, I don't know what I would've done. I probably would've killed myself. It surprising she was still able to put everyone before herself. I felt myself get angry again. "Whatever that bastard did to her... He'll pay tenfold." I growled, relentlessly beating up my punching bag.

~