Chapter 55

"Thanks Kiri." I said a little shyly as we walked to FatGum's agency. "Eh? For what?" He asked, his cheeks dusted pink. "Y'know... Wanting to help the kids a little bit. Not only did they immediately adapt to you, but because you're so likable they accepted your little nuggets of wisdom. Despite being around them so much, Mirio doesn't tell them much, just strikes a figure to follow- which I appreciate a lot! Don't get me wrong! But.... The boys and Eri are not only visual, but auditorial learners as well. So... Well what I'm trying to say is... Thank you for showing my kids a proper father figure. I have a feeling Red Riot might be a certain pair's favorite hero in the near future~" I said, nudging his arm. Kiri blushed darkly with a small smile. "They're the future, so we have to make sure they're happy and thriving. Besides, I wasn't intending that. They're some great kids, D. Most of that is thanks to you." He replied with a genuine expression. I felt my heart flutter and I looked away. So pure! I thought, covering my mouth. He's such a pure soul that it makes me wonder why there's hate blogs about him... At least he has many more fans than enemies. I couldn't help but see all the articles and news stories about 'Red Riot' when I got that phone from my uncle... He's made a name for himself and I can't be prouder of him. He also helped rescue Eri and I, so I'm definitely indebted to him already... I thought, glancing at his face as he looked ahead. I looked at the ground ahead of me. How can I repay him, though? How can I repay any of them? "Yo, D! We're here!" Kiri exclaimed, grabbing my free hand and tugging me along. I clenched the suitcase holding my hero suit tightly. "K-kiri! Slow down!" I exclaimed as he practically dragged me along. "Sorry D. I guess I got a little excited..." Kiri nervously chuckled as he came to a gradual stop.

"Ay! You're late! Hurry up and get suited up, boy! Yer on patrol again." Fatgum said the moment we walked in. "Ah! Fat I brought Dia along like you asked! She's willing to join and she doesn't want to start small!" Kiri exclaimed, uncharacteristically unphased by FatGum's scolding. Fat raised his eyebrows and a smile graced his lips. "Welcome to the force! Nice ta meet cha!" He said, shaking my hand vigorously. "Since yer already so comfortable with this knucklehead over here, I'll have em show ya the ropes! Patrol today and when you two get back, he can show ya 'round the building. That alright with you?" Fat asked, giving me a challenging look. "Definitely." I replied, giving his hand a firm squeeze as I shook it. "Great! Show er where the dressing rooms are and you two should be on yer way." Fat said, waving dismissively at the two of us as he walked off grumbling about paperwork. I turned around and tightly hugged Kiri's torso. "We get to work together! teach me Oh wise one." I playfully said with a bow. Kiri rolled his eyes with a big goofy grin. "C'mon D, I'll show you where the dressing rooms are." Kiri said, gently grabbing my hand and leading me elsewhere.

~

"You sure you wanna patrol today, D? It's a pretty rough neighborhood." Kiri asked as he looked down at me with a worried expression. "Perfect." I said with a smirk. He sighed in response and led me outside. We walked for no more than five minutes when this guy carrying a bag of cash was booking it down the street with what looked like a store manager telling for someone to stop him. Before Kiri could even react, I made a pipe jut out of the ground and trip him, sending him flying. With blinding speed, I was behind him and had him detained with a variety of thick, thorny vines. "Red Riot! You should go check and see if anyone in the store is hurt. I think that manager had some blood on him." I said lowly after walking up to the red haired boy. He nodded and went inside the store. "Fuckin' bitch! You'll pay for this shit, ya here?! I won't be in jail foreve-" Before the robber even finished his sentence, I knocked him out. "Geez dude there are kids around. Can't just be cussing all woah-Nelly like that..." My ears picked up screaming from afar. I crouched down and put my fingertips to the asphalt. Tremors... Something huge is terrorizing a nearby part of town... In the east. No one's on patrol over there! More screams of terrified people came from the same direction. I grit my teeth and put the robber's body right inside the door. "Red! There's trouble in the east! It's something big so I'll meet you there!" I exclaimed through the earpiece I was given while taking to the sky with large cloud-like wings. I should blend in a bit... Or look like a jet stream. I thought, the havoc growing louder the closer I got.