Chapter 18- Truce?

Kate

Urgh, it's that day of the year again.

The day that most sane people look forward to but not me. I'd love it if it didn't come with unshakable horrible memories attached to it's roots.

It was Monday and unlike most people, I was looking forward to going to work. It provided a positive distraction whenever I needed it because I loved my job.

I got out of the elevator and strutted towards the residents lounge with a travel mug, filled with delicious black coffee, in hand. The door was closed. It was never closed in the morning. I opened it to enter and was greeted by a bunch of black and purple helium balloons.

"Happy birthday!" 4 jovial voices called out, startling me.

Nic and Hazel bounced towards me with 2 boxes of chocolate and squeezed the life out of me. Javi and Dimitri settled for a more gentle hug while handing me a bunch of white roses.

"Thanks guys," I hugged each of them out of gratitude, "but how did you guys know?"

"Uhmm, I cyber stalk your brother, duh!" Hazel proudly confessed.

I nodded my head in acknowledgement but that got me thinking. Alex didn't call as yet. As much as he knew and understood my reasons for not being as enthusiastic about my birthday, he made it his duty to be the first to wish me every year and gift me the best presents. Maybe he's busy.

The guys got ready for work while the girls rambled on about how it feels to be 25 and what plans I had for the day, blah, blah, blah.

"My brother's on the other side of the country and my mum and I have work so there's not much that I can do," I told them in an attempt to destroy any of the plans that they might've been cooking up in their head.

Their faces turned sour for a few minutes before it was almost time for our shift to start. Everyone headed out, leaving me alone while I finished getting dressed. I was done lacing up my shoes when a voice broke through the silence.

"Happy birthday, Specs."

I turned to find Tyler, late as usual on a Monday, dressed in a complete black attire. His words took me by surprise and I found myself replying extremely delayed.

"Uhmm, thank you," I responded under my breath while Tyler placed his arms around my midsection, catching me off guard, and brought me in for a short hug.

I broke contact merely seconds after it was made and shot him the warmest smile that I could conjure up on this day. I was speechless.

I thought that we had established the whole keep your distance thing a long time ago.

"I, uhm, I got you something," he announced.

"I appreciate it but you..."

"Look," he interrupted me which was usually my thing to do, "I heard what you said the other day, loud and clear, and I think you're right. So this is my way of calling a truce and moving on."

He opened up a small blue velvet box and pulled out an amethyst necklace with a heart shaped purple pendent. It was beautiful.

"Could you turn around?" He asked and I did without protesting.

He moved my hair to the side as he placed the chain around my neck and clipped it in place. I took a closer look at the pendent and noticed an engraving at the back, on the edge of the heart. Specs.

How is it that you can hate a person but subtly be grateful for their annoyingly thoughtful gestures at the same time?

"Thank you. It's beautiful," I said.