LVII. You'd Think Wes Didn't Drink

"Okay, you have had too much to drink," David said, plucking the cup out of Wes's hands.

"Come on..."

"You just said two words, and they're so slurred I can hardly understand them. Two words. Let's see if we can find Sebastian or Thad, Nick and Jeff are probably off doing god knows what."

"God doesn't want to know what," Wes mumbled, following him.

They made their way to the kitchen, seeing Thad sitting on a barstool and talking to a girl they hadn't met before.

"Hey, David and... clearly drunk Wes," Thad said, laughing. "This is Emma."

The girl waved, smiling brightly.

"Did you two already know each other, or...?" David asked.

Emma set her hand on Thad's shoulder. "No, he saved me from this absolute creep who had been following me around all night. And not just me! If saving girls from assault was an olympic sport, he needs a gold medal."

Thad chuckled sheepishly, rubbing the back of his neck. "That's a bit of an exaggeration."

"Yeah, you're right. It's an exaggeration. And under-exaggeration!"

"I'm not that great. But, um, I think this is my cue to leave," Thad said, standing up. "Stay safe, alright?"

She smiled. "I will, thanks to you." She kissed him on the cheek. "Go help your friends."

Thad walked out with David and Wes. "Glad you came?" David asked. "Emma certainly is."

Thad chuckled. "Yeah, I actually had a pretty good time."

They got in Thad's car, Wes across the backseat and David in the passenger's seat. Wes was out like a light as soon as he was in the car.

David looked back at his boyfriend, laughing. "He's ridiculous."

"Did you not drink?" Thad asked.

"I did, just more responsibly. I kinda had to keep an eye on him."

Thad laughed at that. "Smart."

After a while a siren sounded from behind them, David looking back worriedly and Wes waking up confusedly. "Um, Thad..."

Thad glanced in his mirror. "Chill, guys. I probably just look underage," he said as he pulled over.

The police car stopped behind them. Perfectly calm, Thad rolled down the window and set his hands on the top of the steering wheel where they could be seen.

A policeman walked up to the window. "Excuse me, sir, could I see your ID?"

Thad shot David an I-told-you-so look and grabbed his wallet, which he kept on the center console just in case this happened. It happened more often then you'd think. He froze halfway through pulling out his driver's license.

"Is there a problem, sir?"

Yes. Two of my friends with strict parents and families are about to find out that I'm transgender. "No, it's nothing."

He handed the license to the man, grip tightening on the wheel.

"Um, miss–"

"Mr," he interrupted. "I'm a guy. Um, transgender. Just haven't changed the damn license yet."

"Ah. Well, I apologize for the inconvenience." He handed the card back.

Thad responded with a curt nod, putting it away.

The officer left and Thad restarted the car, pulling back to the road. His knuckles were white on the wheel as he drove.

"Thad," David started gently.

"I don't want to talk about it."