~Chapter Sixteen~

One month later

"Red? Pink? Red? Pink? Red? Pink? Red? Pink?" Violet asked, alternating between the two dresses so her best friend could take a good look at them both. Honestly, Will knew she would look good in both of them, so why was she so stressed about this? Just pick a dress and get on with it.

Giving him an expectant look, she sighed and put them both down flat on the bed so they wouldn't crease.

She asked, "What's wrong?" It was obvious the boy was upset, she just didn't know why and he'd been like this since he arrived.

"Nothing," He lied. "I'm fine. The pink one is the best."

"You're not fine," Violet furrowed her eyebrows. "Why won't you tell me what's bothering you?"

"Because it's stupid," Will admitted. "I don't want to go the gala. I can't stand there and support my parents who have done absolutely nothing to support me or my brothers. They're being awarded for their hard work and dedication to their jobs and their kids, which is such a joke."

"They support you financially. Why do you think you're wearing Gucci to this event?" She joked, trying to lighten the mood with a joke. But it didn't work, and she realised that when the frown didn't disappear from the boy's face.

"Easy for you to say. Your parents are always around," He pointed out.

"Gosh I wish they weren't. My mom doesn't leave me alone and my dad lives in another country yet still manages to call me ten times a day," Violet rolled her eyes. "Listen. Your parents need your support, whether you like it or not. Jack and Dylan will be there if you need them and I'll be there with my family who love you."

"You're right," Will agreed, nodding. "I should suck it up."

"Good, that's the spirit," She smiled, picking up the pink dress.

"Violet, wear the red one."

~

All of the decor was gold in the grand hall the gala was being held in, and Will couldn't help but feel a tad proud of himself for having his suit to match. Unlike his brothers who decided to go with black, he wanted to be bold. If he had to attend an event like this he was going to give the best impression by dressing the best. Of course, he wouldn't admit that he thought he was dressed the best, but secretly he knew.

Classical music played throughout the hall, a small orchestra the reason for the calming music which was actually just making Will more bored than he already was. Violet hadn't showed up yet, so unfortunately he was stuck socialising with his family and their snooty friends.

"Oh how divine." Will heard one of his mum's friends say. Who on earth still uses that word?

"Oh how divine," Jack repeated, mocking her quietly at the table, making his brothers snicker at the only form of real entertainment in the room. Their mum glared, obviously overhearing her son's childish remark.

"I need alcohol and none of the waiters will give me a glass of whatever wine they're bringing around on their little trays," Will glared at one that just blatantly ignored him. "I'm a Lockwood, why aren't they allowing me the privilege to not be completely sober the whole night?" He complained. That was probably the most entitled thing to have come out of his mouth, but desperate times called for desperate measures.

"Here," Dylan said, picking up his full glass which they allowed him to have since he was eighteen. Then he poured it into Will's glass with a smile, "Have mine. I'm not drinking."

"You're not?" Will questioned curiously.

"No. I'm trying to cut back, especially because of the problems I've had in the past. I need to make sure I'm sober enough when Jasmine and her family arrive," Dylan explained.