~Chapter Thirty Six~

"Thanks for helping me set up. This is the first party I've thrown without Jack," Will told Jo, who was putting alcohol into the fridge of Will's lake house. Even though he didn't really get to spend Christmas the way he wanted, New Years Eve was going to make up for it. And this was due to Will deciding to throw a party at his lake house.

"No need to thank me. I'm shocked you're throwing a party at all to be honest," His friend admitted.

"Yeah well... My brothers are having their own party at our own house while our parents spend the weekend in the city," He explained. By brothers he meant Jack. Who knew what Dylan was up to on New Years?

"Is Parker coming here or there, then?" Jo asked, raising an eyebrow. It was a good question. Of course Parker had been invited to Jack's party, which he went to every year. However now he had two Lockwoods to think about, and Will was wondering who he would spend new years with.

Clearing his throat, Will replied, "Uh I... He's helping Jack set up right now but... who knows... we'll see."

Frowning, Jo sent him a sympathetic look before going back to what she was doing. The whole group was still confused about Will and Parker. They just didn't make sense. Did Will know about Parker's past? In the beginning it was a bit of fun, and Jo tried to warn her friend but it seemed that he was in deep water. Jo didn't know how to prevent him from drowning anymore, he had swam so far out.

"Anyway, how's Holden?" Will changed the subject.

"Fine," She answered shortly.

"Great," He muttered, thankful for the phone vibrating in his pocket. He excused himself and left the room, pressing the answer button before holding the device to his ear. "Hey."

"Hi, we're outside and we're just wondering which door is the front door," Holden said into the phone. In the background he could hear someone else laugh. "Jaz said she's only ever been here drunk so she can't remember."

A sinking feeling entered his stomach, and he gazed into the kitchen where he saw Jo sat alone on her phone, a frown prominent on her lips.

"It's uh... it's the left one. It should be open," Will informed him.

"Thanks mate, we won't be a minute."

"Yeah yeah, bye," Will spoke, hanging up. Moments later Holden and Jasmine appeared in the kitchen, drinks in hand and smiles on their faces. He was glad at least some people were happy, because Jo had been nothing but miserable the entire time. It was New Years Eve, and all the group wanted to do was have fun.

"Hey Will," Holden greeted him happily, looking around the kitchen in amazement. Sometimes he forgot that other than Violet, he was the only one out of his friends that owned a lake house. At first he was afraid to call them his friends, since really he was so different to all of them. But now he would easily say that they were his friends, and he was glad to have a life that was separate to his family. Even though they were so different, they were all so accepting of him and welcomed him into the group, despite them being sceptical in the beginning.

"I didn't realise you were coming early," Will commented, looking at Jo in confusion.

Jasmine shrugged. "Holden said Jo was coming early to set up. We figured you could use the help."

"We're just about finished. There's a few guys coming later to set up the midnight fireworks display," He explained. "Are you staying over?"

"Well we... haven't quite discussed that yet." Holden sent Jo a look, which was met with a blank face.

"Might wanna decide fast. I'll need to give you both a key to the room," Will told them.

"It's like a fucking hotel. Damn you have it good, Lockwood," Holden said jokingly.