~Chapter Forty Five~

A/N: Hi everyone, just thought I'd say that this is the fourth update in a row so if you missed any earlier updates please read those because this won't make sense. If this message doesn't apply to you, then just enjoy the chapter- Sian <3

The funeral was small, because Elliot was small. His family wasn't very big and therefore they decided to have a very private service out of respect. As they lowered his casket into the ground, Parker thought about how much he hated the world. What did Elliot do to deserve this? Nothing. He was ten years old and was already a better person than his older brother. He was kind and caring and so lovely. Tears streamed down his face, and his grip on Will's hand tightened as he tried to keep it together in front of his family. 

His mum was balling her eyes out in front of everyone, holding her black umbrella over her head to protect herself from the downpour. Pathetic fallacy. Of course it would rain on the day of his little brother's funeral, it was almost as if the universe said, 'Hey you're having a shit day, how about I make this worse?'

It was ironic. 

Parker watched everyone walk away as the service finished, but he stayed there by the casket. His mum did the same, and he guessed that was how it was going to be. Everyone would forget about him, and Parker would be left mourning alone. In about a month nobody would care about what happened, and he would be the boy with a dead little brother. What was his name again? 

"Parker." Someone placed a hand on his shoulder, causing his head to whip around. He was met with a familiar pair of eyes staring into his own, and for once they displayed an emotion that wasn't anger. It was sadness, mourning, pain. 

"You showed up," Parker breathed out, looking at his father's funeral attire. His suit looked brand new, or rented, he wasn't quite sure. His hair was thinning, but what was left of it was combed over to the side neatly. It was clear that he made an effort to look presentable for the service. However nothing could mask the scent of burnt out cigarettes. 

Parker felt a new presence by his side, and was relieved to see Will standing next to him, holding an umbrella above their heads in an attempt to keep them dry. 

"He's my son," Nathan pointed out, swallowing the growing lump in his throat as he watched Parker and Elliot's mother approach. She looked exhausted, even with make up covering her pale complexion. 

"Nathan," Parker's Mum said in shock, her blue eyes wide at the sight of her ex-husband. It had been years since either of them had exchanged a single word, never mind come this close to being face to face. He hadn't changed all that much. He was still the same drug addict, but this time he had been decent enough to mourn the loss of his own son. Would he do the same for Parker? 

"Hello Natalie." 

Will just stared at the older man, shocked to be next to Parker's farther. His boyfriend never talked about the man, apart from mentioning how he left their family. Maybe there wasn't a lot to say, but he certainly wasn't expecting the man to be at the funeral. He looked just like Parker, with the same blue eyes and bone structure. He was very thin, and Parker was only a few inches taller than him. However he wore the same blank expression that his boyfriend sometimes had when thinking deeply about something, or if he was upset and trying to hide it. As much as he hated to admit it, they were very similar. 

"How have you been?" Natalie, Parker's mother, asked out of politeness. It was obvious that she really didn't care, resentment towards him still apparent. 

"I've been well."

Had he, fuck? Parker hated his dad, hated what the man had turned him into. Part of him still blamed his father for all of his wrongdoings, even though he himself was prone to just fucking up all of the time. However he was working on it, and he planned to get better. He wanted to get better, because he had to be the good person that Elliot never got the chance to be. He wanted to be good for the people in his life, including his mum and Will, who had already helped him so much.