Chapter 18

Kyoshi was still sore from her sparring match with the Lady yesterday, but thanks to the medical supplies that were provided to her she was able to soothe the worst of the pain. She put on her boots before going out of her room and heading to the room that she fought Lady Sho in. She looked inside and saw that it was empty, she even looked up into the rafters and the ceiling to see if she was lying in wait.

She was confused. But she decided to walk around and try to find the woman, she walked into a hall and found the older woman standing at the end of the hallway. Kyoshi slowly walked up to her.

"You are late". Lady Sho said, as she got closer.

"But you said dawn and it is dawn". Kyoshi said.

"You fool, dawn was an hour ago. The sun has risen a long time ago". The woman said.

"I'm sorry, Lady Sho. I was looking for you and I couldn't-". She was cut of as a fan smacked her across the face.

"Not only are you deaf but also pathetically useless. If you had taken time to focus you would not be bumbling like this". The woman said.

"I'm sorry-". Another smack.

"Don't apologize to me, Girl". Lady Sho said,"Come, follow me".

They walked outside and came to a stop at a small pit that had concrete built into it. A few feet away, a well stood with a bucket next to it.

"My pond dried up last year". Lady Sho said,"I was hoping to have some koi to watch before spring and summer fade away. I need you to fill the pond for me".

"I fail to see how this has anything-". Another smack to the face.

"That's your problem. You fail to see anything". Lady Sho said,"I will be meditating over there". She pointed to the shade under the Bunyan tree."I will tell you what to do after". She then slipped into a meditative position and closed her eyes. Kyoshi didn't move and just watched her.

"Well, what are you waiting for? A wedding invitation. Fill the pond". The woman said.

Kyoshi walked over to the well and picked up the bucket, then she dipped it into the well. She then picked it up again and started heading for the pond. Then a bamboo stick flew toward her and knocked the bucket out of her hands, she looked up and saw the woman slip her hand back into her sleeve.

"You did wrong". She said,"Do it again".

Kyoshi was still.

"Didn't you hear? Again". Lady Sho said.

"How? You just knocked the bucket out of my hands, how will I fill the pond if you do that?". Kyoshi said, angrily.

"Again". Was all the Lady said.

Kyoshi picked up the bucket and headed toward the well again, she dipped it into the well until it filled up with water. Then just as she pulled the bucket out, another bamboo stick knocked the bucket out of her hands and Kyoshi watched it fall into the well.

"You're doing it wrong". Lady Sho said.

"But you're the one knocking the bucket out of my hands". Kyoshi said.

"Well, today's lesson is over. Until now, you didn't seem to grasp anything. You are a fool as any I've seen". Lady Sho said, getting up.

"What? But you haven't taught me anything". Kyoshi exclaimed.

"That's because you are a fool. If you had any brains, you would have figured it out by now". The woman said, walking away,"We are done for the day. Maybe tomorrow I can see what other blunders you have in store for me".