Chapter 23- Motivation as Strong as a Rock

"Are you ready?" Hairo beams at Kirishima, allowing his quirk to make its way to the boy, who is looking quite down. Kirishima smiles a little, feeling the motivation grow within him. Still, his fight is not going to be fun, not at all.

"Not really." Hairo smiles sadly as well, playfully punching his friend's shoulder.

"Let's just do our best, okay?" Kirishima nods, a tear falling down his cheek and onto his lap. 

"AND NOW FOR THE FIGHT WE'VE ALL BEEN ANXIOUSLY ANTICIPATING! EJIRIO KIRISHIMA OF CLASS 1-A VS. KINESHI HAIRO OF CLASS 1-A!" An eerie silence falls over the crowd as the two boys step out, tears in both of their eyes. Instead of stopping where most fighters do, they make their way to the middle, meeting and grasping each other's hands as if they were about to arm wrestle. They pause, nodding and shaking the other's hand slightly before leaning in, wrapping their arms around each other in a manly embrace. They pat their backs, comforting the other. They lean out again, their hands still clasped together.

"Don't let up."

"I won't." They nod once more, determination flowing through them as they make their way back to the starting positions. The crowd remains silent, but before long a single, obnoxiously loud cry echoes out over the intercom. Suddenly, the whole stadium is in tears, most sobbing for the pair.

Kirishima and Hairo turn toward the middle, both squatting slightly and preparing their fists for a fight.

"B... BEGIN!" Present Mic yells, his voice wavering as he sniffs. You can hear a slobbery hero crying behind him, and a very tired teacher sighing in disappointment.

"How am I even associated with you idiots?" The mumble was not meant to be heard, but it was. Not that the crowd noticed, they were far too focused on the two teens in the arena before them. 

Hairo and Kirishima both jump forward at the 'begin', Kirishima hardening before punching Hairo, who is just barely able to block the attack. They both slide back a few yards, their feet leaving lines in the dirt as they slow to a stop. Hairo rubs his forearm, which is what he used to block, allowing his quirk to strengthen him. His body drinks up the motivation, the faint bruise vanishing.

"Wait, you can heal? That's awesome!" Kirishima compliments, smiling at his friend.

"Thanks, man!" Hairo beams, cautious yet thankful.

"I'm sorry to say, but that won't change the outcome of this battle." Kirishima smiles, getting into his stance once more.

"We'll see about that," Hairo mutters, his body seemingly catching on fire as he pours out his quirk, directing it on himself. He yells as his body eats up the power, his fists clenched in pain. Kirishima takes a step back, worried not only for his friend but for himself. Hairo shakes his head, breathing heavily as he gets used to the power running through his veins. He glances up, his eyes wild with pain but his heart filled with determination. Kirishima takes another step back as Hairo pounces, yelling loudly.

Kirishima hardens, forming a defensive X with his arms as Hairo hits him. Kirishima is pushed backward, but his stance allows him to remain on his feet. Hairo growls at this, angry that he has not yet won and he has no more power to gain. He jumps at Kirishima again, his eyes glowing orange as he smirks evilly. Kirishima dodges to the side, losing his balance and stumbling over himself. He lands heavily, his hardened skin creating large gashes in the ground. Hairo sees his chance and takes it, jumping at his now grounded opponent.

Kirishima has no time to react. Hairo's foot meets his side, shoving him over and knocking the air out of him. As Kirishima is on his hands and knees, gasping for breath, Hairo kicks him once more, the power radiating off of him. Kirishima coughs, blood trickling down his chin. He scrambles to his feet, clenching his fists before smirking.

"I should thank you, Hairo."

"What?" Hairo stops his rampage, tilting his heads in confusion.

"You're the reason I can do this," Kirishima's skin suddenly goes from hard to harder, every part of him stronger than before. "and with this, I might as well be invincible!" Hairo hesitates, suddenly unsure of his power. The high is slowly leaving him, allowing his rational thinking to come through.

"Was that really me?" Hairo asks, smiling and rubbing the back of his neck.

"Uh... yeah." Kirishima straightens out of his fighting stance as he replies, unsure why his friend had suddenly ceased fighting.

"Whoops." Hairo laughs at his mistake, attempting to stall as his quirk recovers. Kirishima narrows his eyes, noticing Hairo's orange glow weakening as the boy talks.

"Do you really think you can distract me that easily?" Kirishima yells, running toward his opponent.

"Kind of, yeah." Hairo bursts some power into him, narrowly evading his friend's attack as he somersaults to the side, landing in a kneeled position. Kirishima skids to a stop, quickly spinning around and attacking once more. He barrels into Hairo, causing both of them to tumble over each other as they roll closer to the boundary. Hairo attempts to power up, but he's too tired, his quirk has been squeezed dry. Kirishima grits his teeth, pushing with all his might to send Hairo flying through the air, and out of bounds. Hairo lands on his front, an arm pinning under him and his pants sliding down to show his iconic butt. 

"HAIRO IS OUT! KIRISHIMA WINS!"

The crowd muffles their cries as Kirishima makes his way over to Hairo, his hand out.

"You did amazing! I thought I had a chance." Hairo laughs, rubbing the arm he landed on as he sits up.

"You're kidding, right? That was awesome, man! I didn't know you were that strong!" Hairo smiles, taking his friend's hand. Kirishima makes sure his friend is on his feet before removing his hand, offering a high-five. Hairo smiles, accepting the offer. Tears return to the eyes of the crowd as they watch how strong a friendship can really be.