Chapter 6 Worst Case Scenario Pt. 1

After Head Mistress had stopped time, she brought me to the infirmary and left me there to rest. She told me she was going to talk to Father Alric about my injury and then walked away. I had no idea how long that was now, my head felt light, and my vision was blurry. Also, my hearing was extremely sensitive to the point where all the outside noise was deafening to me. What's happening to me? 

I'm sorry, James. 

"James!" a voice rang in my head. I tried to cover my ears from the sound, but it kept bouncing all over my head like a ball. I could hear someone run over to my bedside, and the sound of the footsteps made the noise in my head stronger. They put their hand on my lap, and I was able to make out whose it was. It was a girl's hand, and it was a hand I recognized. 

"Julia..." I groaned, still covering my ears from the noise. 

Please forgive me, James. 

"I heard about what happened from Head Mistress. Are you feeling any better?" Julia tried to reach for my face, but I swatted it away. 

I didn't want this to happen, James. 

"Don't touch me! I don't know what's wrong with me...I feel weird, and everything I hear hurts. Just talking to you like this is hurting me." I laid down and curled up. I was sweating and crying from the pain of what was happening to me. I was ready to find a way to end my life just to make it stop, but then everything fell silent. The intense outside noise had subsided, and I could normally hear again. I sat back up and looked at Julia who was in tears just like I was. "Julia, what's happening to me?" 

In time he'll tell you, I promise. 

"I think I can answer that question for you, James," The Head Mistress said, coming in walking over to us. "I just talked with Father Alric, and he told me one detail that he forgot to tell me when he first brought you and Julia here." She leaned down and gave me a serious look. "Did you get attacked by an Archangel?" 

All I pictured was seeing the creature walking towards us with its mouth gaping open with drool pooling down. I tried to run away, but before I could take a step, it slashed my chest and sliced off my right forearm. I gripped my rock arm when I remembered that part and looked away from Head Mistress. That was all she needed as she straightened herself and adjusted her glasses. 

"What's wrong with him, Head Mistress?" Julia asked in anticipation. 

"James is infected with the blood of the Archangel." She put it simply. "While he was attacked, the Archangel must've been bleeding from an earlier exchange, and it went into him. Now, do you want the good or bad news first?" 

"Give me the bad news first," I said. 

"The bad news is that there's no cure for the infection. Once the blood of an Archangel is inside a person, they'll have it inside of them forever. What the infection does depends on the person: some go mad, some turn into Archangels, and many other things can happen," she explained to me. None of what she was saying helped calm my nerves. 

I'm infected, and I could possibly turn into an Archangel...that's just great! Way to go, James. 

"So, what's the good news?" 

"I have a way to slow the infection to a near crawl." Head Mistress leaned in closer and tapped the back of my neck. There was a weird feeling spreading like something was being etched into my skin and then stopped. 

See you later, James

"What did you put on his neck, Head Mistress?" Julia looked at my neck and rubbed where she tapped. I didn't feel anything as she slides her fingers over the spot.