Chapter 35 A Warm Family Reunion

The drive to Marque took two days. We haven't said a word, and we didn't need to. The butler already knew how mad we were and sat as far away from us as possible in the limo. We passed through the marble gate into Marque, and already I wasn't liking what I was seeing. The mansions stood as tall as apartment buildings, like the ones at Mormore, and the streets were sprinkled with gold. The sights here at Marque are breathtaking, especially for someone who believed that they could possibly live here, but for me, these sights of the city are a sham and hold an ominous feeling. 

I've heard a lot about Marque and how the nobles have unusual ways of living, like how they deal with disputes with 'wars' for one. It appeared that a couple of nobles are having some because in alleyways and streets we passed by, we could see paid mercenaries fighting for whichever noble they were representing. It was disgusting to see people actually doing this all for the sake of money. It's such a waste of human life. 

"We're here, you two," Marc said, and the limo stopped in front of one of the mansions. "Let me take you to your father." 

We got out of the car, ignoring the butler, and walked up to the front door and punched it clean off its hinges. "Where are you father?!" We both screamed out, not realizing that there was a party going on, the guests looking terrified. 

"Why did the Kidd siblings just punch the door off?" A noblewoman asked. 

"Did they say, father?" A nobleman asked those around him. 

"Children," everyone heard, and all looked up to the railing to our right to see Franco looking down. "You've finally made it! I'm so glad to see you in person. Everyone, I'm afraid that the party has come to an end. To those who value their lives, I'd advise you to leave immediately." 

Without hesitation, all the party guests ran out, and in a matter of seconds, it was just the three of us. Father walked down the stairs slowly—almost taunting us. 

"So, these are my two beautiful children. Why such hostile expressions?" He asked us as if it wasn't already clear why. 

"You know exactly why. Where's our mother?" Julia snapped. 

"She's taking a lovely nap in my room. Ah, you should see her when she sleeps. She's as beautiful as an angel." Father swooned at his own description. 

"Lair," I stomp my foot down, causing the ground to shake a little. "I can sense mother through the ground, and you still have her tied up upstairs!" 

Once I said that, father's expression changed from being pleased to a disgusted look. "You dare talk back to your father like that?" 

"You're not my father! I refuse to believe you're my father!" I dashed at him, but before I took a swing, someone got in front of father and blocked my punch for him. It was one of the bounty hunters that was from the message in the crystal. 

"Believe it, James. I'm your father. Oh, meet Jack of the Hundred Swords, one of the gentlemen that found and brought your mother to me." Father leaned to the right to introduce Jack. 

"For being the strongest mercenary, Kaisa didn't put up much of a fight. She's gotten weak." Jack taunted. 

"Our mother isn't weak!" I cast a column up from underneath me and made Jack crash into the wall. 

James, your right! Eighty-Four called out, and I looked and dodged what appeared to be a bullet. I jumped back to Julia and got ready to dodge another, but all we heard was someone laughing. Someone came out from the corner, and it was another hunter from the message, only this one was a gunslinger. He had a long, almost inhuman smile on him that was creeping us out. 

"Kids, meet Grinning Michael, the fastest gunslinger in all of Seraphim." 

"These two somehow managed to get away from us back at the city. We won't let them get away from us this time." Grinning Michael licked his lips, which sent a shiver down my spine. 

Wait, if these two were the ones we sensed back at Mormore, then where's the mage?  

"James, create a barrier now!" Julia told me, and I slammed my hands down as fast as I could and created a barrier for us. A second later, an explosion hit the barrier so hard that it shook us. I moved the wall away and looked behind me to see the mage who had her staff pointing at us with something glowing at the end of it. 

"Whew, I'm glad that they were able to dodge my spell." The mage said. 

"What are you saying Mortar? They're our targets!" Jack told her, but she glared at him. 

"And lastly is Mortar of Lucks Heart, the last hunter that brought me your mother." 

Mortar looked like she was our age, so that means she probably graduated earlier than us. "This is a little personal for me, alright? I came from Lucks Heart Academy as well, so it hurts that I'm fighting fellow graduates." 

"So, why are you fighting us?" I asked her. 

"Because I was paid to do a job, and sadly, this is it. This will hurt me more than it will hurt you; trust me." Mortar got her staff ready. 

"Why are you doing this, Father?" Julia asked him. 

"That's an excellent question that I'm more than happy to answer for my daughter. When I received the letter, and your mother was brought to me, I made her tell me everything about you two, and I mean everything. I had no idea that I was a descendant of not just one, but two Constructors! I can't wait till King Alistaire comes so I can tell him the news. He'll use you two for the war that he'll begin with the other races to prove that humans are the superior race. But first, I need to show you two some discipline." Father's smile was so evil that it looked like I was looking at a devil in human form. 

Mother, you told him ...Gods, what did he do to you to make you say that... 

"And that's not all! I decided to also bring someone from your past here as well, the one that took care of you until you discovered your magical gifts." 

"You didn't." 

"Oh, I did. Father Alric is in my basement if you want to see him for yourself. He's been simply begging to see you again." 

"You bastard!" I yelled out as Julia grabbed my shoulder. 

"I'll go save Father Alric; you go save mom, James," she said as she turned into Ester and punched down to get to the basement. Father didn't seem to like that, and he snapped his finger. 

"Mortar, Michael, deal with my daughter." He ordered them, and they ran for the basement door, but I wasn't gonna let them get there without a fight. 

"I'm not gonna let you leave without fighting m—" I was about to create something to stop those two, but I had to create a wall to prevent the swords that were coming towards me. Jack came around my wall and was about to slash across my body, but I sunk into the floor and popped up behind him. 

"So that's how you were able to escape from the room. A nifty trick you've got." Jack chuckled and snapped his fingers to summon two canisters filled with swords to his sides. "Now, let me show you why they call me Jack the 100 Swordsman." 

Sorry, Julia, I couldn't stop the two, but you're more than capable of beating them to a pulp. Save Father Alric. I'll deal with this guy and father, so I can save our mom.