Chapter 23 A Tearful Reunion Pt. 1

I already knew where I was. James had told me about this place, the Void. At first, I was afraid because I couldn't feel anything. But beyond the darkness, I suddenly felt an overwhelming aura behind me. I turned around to find my grandma walking towards me slowly. I didn't feel anything from her; no anger or disappointment, which confused me a little. 

"Grandma Irene?" I said and could hear my voice echo through the darkness. 

"Yes. It's me, Julia." She replied back with her cold, blank expression. 

"Is this the Void?" 

"Not quite. This is your Void if that makes sense."

"My Void? What does that mean?" 

"I'm not so sure myself. They never gave us a clear answer when they explained it to us. But that's neither here nor there. What does matter is that this place acts like a recuperating area for you to heal up faster, but it comes at a cost. We were only given this ability to do so five times. Once those five times were up, one fatal hit, and we heal like normal people. This is your first time." 

I remembered how she got here. I used the last of my strength to use my Necromancy to attack Leala with the Undead Hands and win the fight. "Oh yeah...I can already guess you saw how I got here..." 

"Of course, and before your grandpa gets here, let me be the first to say," Grandma Irene walked closer and put her hand on my shoulder, "I'm proud of you, Julia. That was a brilliant performance. Good job, honey." 

The words of Grandma Irene had me taken aback. During all the training we did, any time I performed a spell correctly, she would just tell me 'onto the next spell.' Not once did she tell me 'good job.' Those words were ones I thought I would never hear. I believed that that was a phrase that I had no rights to, a phrase that belonged only to kids with parents. But hearing those words told to me by Grandma Irene, I just didn't know how to feel. Before I realized it, my body had let the tears fall out and made me begin to shake, which Grandma Irene noticed. 

"Is everything okay Juli—" 

"Thank you, Grandma Irene!" I jumped forward and gave Grandma a tight hug. "I had given up on hearing those words for the longest time, but hearing them from you...thank you." 

Grandma Irene wrapped her arms around me, and I hugged her tighter. "If I could, I would be smiling right now. It was hard to see my descendants not realize what kind of power they had. But I'm glad you're the one that's using my magic." 

"Well, look what we have here! Ain't this a beautiful sight." We both heard another voice roar and saw Grandpa Oros walk over to us from the darkness. 

"Oh, can it, old man. Let me enjoy this moment with my granddaughter." Irene got defensive and turned her back to Oros. 

"Grandpa Oros, I did it! I graduated." I poked my head out. 

"I saw, and you did an amazing job, Julia! Reminds me when I saw your Grandma fight back in the war. The same ferocity, the same brutality of her magic." Oros looked at Irene, who still had her back to him. 

"Do you know if James graduated, Grandpa?" 

"Yeah, he did. Speaking of which I need to go check up on him." 

"He only has two more chances, Oros," Irene said, making Grandpa stop dead in his tracks. "You need to tell him that he needs to be more careful or he's gonna run out of times to recuperate." 

"I'll let him know. I didn't think he would lose so many in a year Irene. But I'll tell him when I see him." Oros looked back one last time and then disappeared.