Chapter 10 Ex-Lovers Pt. 2

I nodded and ran straight at the dummy. I first hit its back, but the instant I touched it, the dummy flew away from me and crashed into the wall. I slid back a little, and my heart raced. "What happened, master?" 

"You aimed for the right area but hit the wrong pressure point. The one you hit sends a shockwave through your opponent and makes them go flying as you just saw. We keep going boy until you get it." Master Feng brought back the dummy so I could try again. 

I got to his back again and tried to remember how master hit me. He used his palm on the center of my back and that's what I was gonna try and do. Flattening my hand, I pushed my palm on the center of the dummy's back and this time he didn't go flying. Continuing, I went around to touch the spot on the dummy's neck, only for the right side to explode the instant I touched it again. 

"You hit the wrong point again, boy. And I don't need to tell you what that point does do I?" Master chuckled to himself. 

If I did this to an actual person, they would've died right then and there. I can't believe I'm learning this! Eventually, I'm going to fight real people. If I slip up once, there goes their life. I need to be more precise in my strikes so that doesn't happen. 

"Let's continue, boy." 

"Yes, Master Feng." I shook off my nervousness and got ready. Master restored the dummy's side, and I continued on. On my third attempt I sent the dummy flying again. On my fourth I got to the third hit, but when I touched his pec, I blasted a hole through his body. That time I got really nervous because all I could think of is if I screwed up, I would end someone's life without a second thought. So, for the rest of the time, I kept messing up. We eventually stopped so I could take a break. Walking over to the bench, I sat down to take a breather and relax. After a while, I saw Master Feng walk over, and he didn't seem very pleased. 

"After your third attempt, all you've been doing is hesitating and making mistakes boy. I took you in as my student because I believe you're worthy of learning Renewal Acupuncture, but now you're making me judge my decision." Master Feng narrowed his eyebrows. 

"I'm sorry Master Feng, I promise I'll do better," I said, still catching my breath. 

"We'll see," just then we both heard the bell at the front door ring. "Once I return, we will continue with your training." 

Master walked back into the shop and left me alone. 

Those 'mistakes' I made could end someone's life, and I don't think I could live with myself if I accidentally did that. What if Head Mistress was wrong and I wasn't meant to be Master Feng's student? And if that's the case, who would I look for if this doesn't work out. 

"Boy," Master Feng called out to me. "You have some company." 

I turned around and saw two people walk over, and I got up with a smile on my face. "Jackal, Uriela, what are you guys doing here?" 

"We heard from your sister that you were training with an O.T., so we decided to come out and see you." Jackal came over and patted my shoulder. 

"O.T.?" I gave him a confused look. 

"'Outside Teacher,' you can only have an O.T. with special permission from Head Mistress. In fact, Uriela and I have an O.T. as well!" 

"Oh, how interesting." I thought for a second. 

That means Julia's O.T. is Head Mistress herself and soon people will take notice of that. 

"Here James," Uriela handed me a bottle of juice, hiding her face between her arms. "I bought this energy drink on the way here for you." 

"Oh, I was actually getting thirsty Uriela, thank you." I grabbed the bottle and took a big gulp, and I could feel the energy surge through my body like a lightning bolt. "Ah, I needed that!" 

"Great! So is the reason why you have an O.T. because you want to participate in this year's Magus Exam?" Jackal asked. 

"What's the Magus Exam?" I asked back. 

"It's held every year, and it's one of many tests we can do to get into the more advanced academies like the one in Cherubim. Though, some choose it as their graduation and go do whatever they want." Uriela said. 

"It's a tournament for only those who feel battle ready, but only three students can graduate," Jackal added. 

"Why only three?" 

"Because you'll have to face one of the three senior mages to graduate." Jackal put it simply. 

My immediate thought was Evgeni and that if I did this exam, there was a definite possibility that I would have to fight him to graduate and leave the academy. That thought actually excited me. "When is this exam?" 

"In twelve months since the last one happened just after you came." 

"Master Feng!" 

"Yes, boy?" Master Feng walked back out with a bowl of rice in his hand. 

"I'm ready to try again." 

"So eager now, very well, I suggest you two to come over here because this might get dangerous." Master gestured for them to come back inside and they did. He walked out and created his earth dummy again and took a couple of steps back. 

Facing the dummy again, I could see the points that I needed to hit more clearly now. I took a deep breath in and exhaled. "Master, how long does it take to master Renewal Acupuncture?" 

"Renewal Acupuncture is a very hard fighting style to master. For those who decide to learn it take at most five years to master—" 

"Six months." I stopped him, and he nearly dropped his bowl. 

"What was that boy?" 

"I said I'll master it in six months!" I charged forward and ran around to the dummy's back and hit the center of its back. The dummy leaned back, and I took advantage of that by jumping over it and hit the point on its neck perfectly. It was about to spin down, but just before it did, I jabbed it on the right pec and dropped to the ground while I stomped my feet back on the ground. 

There was no sound other than my heavy breathing as I turned back to Master Feng, who tried to hide how impressed he was. "Just so you know, if that's your plan there will be days that you will go back to the Academy extremely bruised and with broken bones. Are you sure you want to do that?" 

"Yes, I am sure master," I told him with real certainty in my tone that made him smile. 

"Be back here tomorrow. Your training is gonna be more serious from now on." Master Feng bowed.

"I wouldn't want it any other way, Master Feng." I bowed back him.