Chapter 12 Magus Exam

Today is finally the day Magus Exam and all twenty-six of us were waiting in the center of the arena. All other students were looking down from the stands above us. They cheered us on, giving us good lucks, and applauding for us. Sitting up there as well was the Monster Trio, observing us, and awaiting their fights in the final round. In a certain section at the center of the stands was where our Head Mistress sat. Along with her were other Head Masters and Head Mistresses from different academies. From that crowd, I was surprised to see that the General of King Alistaire and some of her troops were here as well. Guess they wanted to see if any of us were military quality, but Julia and I would never serve under the king. 

Suddenly, from the podium in front us, an explosion of pink smoke and confetti erupted, and someone jumped out from behind it. "Mages and witches, welcome to this year's annual Magus Exam!" The announcer shouted into her mic, and the arena rumbled with the screams of the students. The announcer was a young lady who wore a surprisingly normal dress, but her hair said so otherwise as it was in two massive red pigtails that spiraled down like two drills on either side. "As always, I'm Alice Maveric, your hostess and referee for the Magus Exam! I notice that I see a couple of new faces this year, which is what I like! What do you say everyone, how about we give the newcomers a warm welcome!" 

Alice rose up one of her arms and the students went wild as they were cheering for us. I liked the enthusiasm that I was getting but saying that there were newcomers means that most of the students around us have experience. I needed to be careful with those and so did Julia if we were going to graduate. 

"That's what I like to hear!" Alice roared over the screams of the students and with one finger she silenced all of them. "Now before we can continue, I must explain the rules. They're simple, really. You must fight your way to get to the last round. You may use everything you've learned from your teachers, and anything goes except for killing; no killing one another. Those who make it to the final round must fight the senior mage that you signed your name under. If you understand and follow these rules, then the tournament may begin!" 

And with that we split up into our separate waiting rooms. I couldn't say good luck to Julia, but she knew that I wished it on her. My group was the biggest with ten students while the other two had only eight. However, there was an issue with my group. Since there was just going to be five fights for the first round, the last winner wouldn't have an opponent to fight in the second round. The solution Head Mistress thought of was to let the last winner of the first round choose who it is that they wanted to have a three-way fight with in the second round. It won't bother me if the winner decides my next opponent and me in the second round, I'll just knock them down too. 

"Hey James," Jackal walked over to me and sat beside me against the wall. "So, this is it huh?" 

"All this past year's training is going to pay off. But don't forget the promise we made, Jackal." I told him. 

"Yeah, I honestly hope we fight. That way, we can show each other what we can really do." Jackal clenched his fist and brought it closer, and we fist bumped. 

"So, you're one of the newcomers," I heard someone say, and I looked up in front us to see a towering guy casting his shadow over us. "You don't look like much." 

"Am I the only newcomer in this group?" I stood up, unfazed by his intimidation. 

"It appears so. Let me give you a friendly warning 'fore the tournament begins. You're going to be crushed." The guy gave it to me straight. 

"No, he's gonna be completely destroyed, Justin!" Another guy came over and he looked closer to my height and body type. He also had this snobby look to him as soon as he stared at me. "You won't even last a minute in your first fight. Most of us have been doing this for years now and you think a first-year student has a chance against us, let alone against Evgeni? Ha, don't even bother stepping out on the ring when they call you out." The guy walked away and started to talk to some other students, but I glared at him and hoped that he could feel my cold rage coming from my eyes. 

"Who's that guy?" I asked the two still here. 

"His name is Ramon. He's actually one of the students that makes it to round three, so he's pretty tough." Justin, the towering guy told me. 

"I hope he's my first opponent because I'll completely destroy him," I growled, but then I could sense that Julia was trying to contact me, so I sat back down and focused. 

"Uh, what's he doing?" the towering guy asked Jackal. 

"He's talking to his sister right now. Let's leave him be." Jackal got up, and the two walked away.

Julia's waiting room...

I was devastatingly nervous with all these glares shooting at me from the other students. I was on the verge of having a mental breakdown. If they only knew what they were doing to me, they would stop immediately and look the other way. I knew I needed to do something. So, the best I could do was cower over to the wall and attempted to talk to my brother. 

Please, James, I need you right now. I can't take these stares anymore. 

Julia, what's wrong? The sound of my brother's voice completely relaxed me and made me feel much better. 

Oh, thank the Five. James, the other students, they're glaring at me. My fear is hurting me, and the girls are not here right now to help. 

Are you serious? How can they not be with you at a time like this? Okay listen, Julia, they're doing the same thing to me. This is just a tactic they're trying to use on the newcomers. They're just trying to get you scared, but you need to control your fear, or there won't be anything left of them, literally. Remember what Grandma Irene told you? 

I remembered that there was a saying that Grandma Irene told me while I trained. 'Don't let your emotions control you; you control your emotions and what you make of them' 

And what have you made of them? 

I opened my eyes with a new outlook and looked at everyone with clearer eyes. The aura of everyone in the room showed that they were afraid of me but didn't want to show it. They make me stronger. I stood back up and glared at everyone and they all took a step back feeling the intense pressure of my emotions. Thanks James, I feel better now. 

Good because they're calling me to fight, so wish me luck. And for Gods' sake tell the girls to get to your side! 

"Don't worry brother, I can already sense two of them coming. Good luck."