[12]

Matured content: Please be warned.. .(18+)

BRYAN

The whole country was thrown into turmoil that fateful morning when I woke up. Morgan had actually woken me up with the news headline. I quickly glanced through my phone and even switching on the television. They were all saying the same thing even though put in different terms.

They read; Boyce Brent arrested for murdering lover; Senator Brent in jail for the death of Alicia Lyon Baker, Daughter to the senate president.

I’d spent the last couple of days trying to put together a legal team for Boyce and also paved a way for my mother to also get to see him.

Paying the prying and inquisitive media houses to ease digging on the story as some of them approached me for questioning.  So this was not supposed to be out just yet because it hasn’t even been up to two weeks I met with Boyce and I’d already spent so much keeping their bloody mouth shut.

My day was already ruined before it could even begin. I couldn’t even start imagining what the atmosphere outside will even be like. Wished i could just remain indoors because I knew the reporters and probably protesters will definitely be around. They would want a statement from me and running away was just acting cowardice.

I picked my phone and dialed Morgan. “Sir” he answered. “We leave for work in twenty minutes" I informed him and hung up to go prepare.

***************

As expected, the entrance to Brentarc Group was incredibly packed full with reporters as Gerald slowed down the car a bit for Morgan to study the terrain. “Sir,” he turned backwards to face me. “Would you want to give them a statement?” I paused to think for a while exhaling as I rubbed the temples of my head with my fingers. “Call security, tell them to ward off the reporters for now, I’ll send Millicent in my stead” I said still worried as Gerald pulled into the complex.

There were flashing of cameras and hitting of the vehicle as we drove through the reporters into the compound. Security immediately shut them out temporarily. As I alighted from the car, I could hear screams of my name with several questions like “Mr. Brent, is it true? Mr. Brent, what’s Senator Brent’s current position?" And blah blah blah.

I clogged my ears to the intrusive journalists as I walked into the building. “Good morning sir” was the greeting I kept getting from my staffs as I strode through into my elevator with Morgan closely winding behind. “Finally a little silence” I breathed.

“Morning Sir,” Millicent stood up from her desk once she saw me and I nodded in acknowledgement to her greeting. “The phone lines have been going crazy, the reporters are hovering around the ground floor and your mother and sister had kept calling" she reported to me.

I took my seat feeling a load of anxiety wrapping around me. I closed my eyes for a bit like I was trying to meditate but my head was blank. I didn’t want to speak with anyone, so I’d switched off my phone at home, probably that was the reason my mom and sister kept disturbing the office line.

“Millie I spoke up after a moments reflection. “You’ll speak to the reporters on my behalf if not they won’t leave. And I’m not too comfortable with their presence clustering around. This is an office premises and I want it to be so, ok?”

“Ok sir” she nodded handing me a tablet with my day’s itinerary. I scanned through it. I had two external meetings with ABS Holdings and Skylark Enterprises; another online meeting with my project team back at Nigeria and finally a lunch meeting with the attorney I wanted working with.

Before she walked out of the office I instructed her to reschedule all my meetings for the day except that with the attorney.

I’d barely rested my head on the table assimilating and thinking of my next move when I felt a warm kiss on the back of my neck. I lifted my head and met the most mesmerizing woman I’d ever known.