[14]

BRYAN

I sat at the desk in my study, going through some files that the project manager sent from Nigeria. I’d just gotten off an online video meeting with the team. The exact one I’d asked Millie to reschedule.  

They had made good progress these past two weeks. It was a Saturday and normally I was meant to be at the gym but I wasn’t feeling it so I decided to tidy up my busy schedule I’d procrastinated. I called Oliver and Jake informing them I won’t be able to make it today. Though they sounded worried but I assured them I was fine.

Michelle ordinarily should have been here with me today but she choose to spend the weekend back home because I’d informed her that Bridget came around. I knew they didn’t get along so well so I didn’t object to her decision.

Since we started dating, I constantly pressured her to move in with me which I knew her parents would strongly object to but I did it anyway. And even though I didn’t win full control, I had to myself five days a week including the weekends which was a fair deal.

Bridget on the other hand showed up pretty late at my house yesterday. She said she was feeling too sober about the whole Boyce issue to stay alone and she wanted to be close to family. I couldn’t send her back so I just let her spend the night.

After the online meeting, I decided to go through the documents that needed my approval and signature Millie brought to the house for me this morning. The Project team were running low on supplies and they needed cash to fast track their work, The safety team were proposing to organize a safety training course for all staffs, The Business strategy department in the last board meeting proposed that Brentarc looks out for business opportunities in the IT industry, thereby expanding our tentacles across major industries in the country.

Though their proposal was received well but it was not approved because they had done a superficial research. We needed something more detailed and thorough.

So I went through one after the other carefully appending my signature and making comments were necessary. There was a knock on the door and it swiped open with Bridget carrying a tray. “Hey Bro, I thought that I should get you brunch since you got yourself stucked here and missing breakfast” she said setting the tray on the table.

I exhaled. “Thanks for thinking about me but I don’t think I’m hungry”. I turned my attention back to the papers infront of me.

She walked up to me putting her hands on top of mine, and then I looked up to her. “Bryan, I’m glad I know you. You do this whenever you’ve got a lot going on inside of your head. You can even choose to go days without food but it’s not healthy, remember what happened to you she reminded me. Moreover, you’ve got to replenish all those lost energy" she smiled softly.

She was definitely acting like Michelle. Why wont the women in my life they just let me be. I rubbed my palms against my forehead and thought about what she just said and she was very persistent and I didn’t want to end up in the hospital like time. I almost died that fateful day when I was seventeen years old.

That was when the doctor diagnosed that I had peptic ulcer and it was majorly as result of starvation. I barely ate when I was growing up because I practically hated all the food the cooks usually served or maybe I also wanted to punish my mother for not being there for us. So if I eventually refuse to eat now, Bridget would probably remain here.

“So what am I having for brunch?” I asked her.

“Pasta and roasted beef steaks”

“Sounds delicious”

“You bet. I made it myself”

I looked at her with my eyes widened “Sorry, you did what?”