[42]

My mind kept wavering as we passed through several doors. I wanted to know which was Mary's so I had to start asking questions as we went by like who has this and who has that before she stopped at one which was towards the end of the corridor.

Honestly, this house was really big even bigger than Bryan's. I mean you could measure the size by the number of rooms it had. This house had about twenty rooms if I was correct.

As we stopped at door, she turned and looked at me "Here is Mr. Bryan's room" then she opened it for me.

"Hmmmm...". I cleared my throat "I'm sorry but you never mentioned Mrs. Brent's bedroom"

She looked up at me expressionless "Yes that's because her room is on the next floor".

Oh my God, I almost hated myself right now. Was i being too obvious or straightforward about my intentions that i never noticed the house was a three storey building?

I smiled nervously "Sorry Augusta, I never knew how big this house was"

"Yea, me too" she chuckled and walked away.

I breathed holding my chest, how can I be acting like this?  Anyways I had to hurry up with my plans before they were finished with the meeting.

Rather than enter into Bryan's room, I decided to walk toward the stairs and up to the next floor to where Mary's room was. I had no doubt that it will be easy to identify.

Well, just like my thoughts, the floor had fewer doors, so all I had to do was just open each till I saw hers.

The room was beautiful with a large king sized bed well laid. On one end stood a large table and a chair, I quickly rushed there searching for anything that seemed odd. I opened the drawers, filtering through pieces of papers.

My heart was pounding in my chest, and I was getting sweaty. I kept praying that I don’t get caught because i couldn’t imagine how awkward it will be if someone eventually catches me.

I flipped through the files and documents, nothing.

There was a pile of old looking envelopes stacked on one corner of the table. When I couldn’t find anything, I switched over; Opening the envelopes carefully, something out of the ordinary caught my attention. I

n it were papers belonging to Bryan's company and one Valdez holdings.

On another, were other company names which I didn’t recognize also.  So I brought out my phone and began to take pictures. Suddenly there was a ding on the laptop that was on the table.

Ah, my mind hadn't even gone there, once I was done, I opened the laptop, luckily for me; there was no password on it. It was a mail. I opened the mail, it was from redmice@gamil.com. The message was encrypted. I quickly snapped the mail.

As I closed the mail, I noticed other emails that have been received from this same address. So I began opening them one after the other only to reveal the greatest shock of my life.

I couldn’t believe my eyes, I couldn’t move my feet, I stood there shaking, trying to process what I was looking at for almost five minutes before my phone buzzed and then I heard voices "Miss Jones".

I fidgeted, that must be Augusta. She must be looking for me, all my senses heightened, I cannot be caught, I became confused, I had to leave this room now.

I arranged everything quickly back to the way they were and ran out of the room heading straight for Bryan's room. I needed to put up an act, otherwise they might suspect me.

Thank God, I sighed as I lay down on Bryan's bed halfway with my head buried on the pillow, at first I wanted faking my tears but once i looked around the room, the tears naturally began flowing from my eyes.

The door opened and Augusta walked in "Miss Jones”

Silence.

"Miss Jones -" Then I slowly raised my head from the bed and turned to look at her.

"Oh I'm so sorry” she said with pity in her voice when she noticed I had been sobbing.

"It’s ok, I will leave now" even though she didn’t say it, I knew that was why she came in search of me.

I wiped my face with my hands and alighted from the bed. Thankfully I had no makeup on, otherwise, my face would have been a mess.

"Are they done with the meeting?” I asked her still wiping off my tears.

"Not yet"  she answered handing over a box of tissue to me.

"Thanks" I nodded, took out a piece and walked out of the room.

Once I was out of the house and back to the car, my whole body tensed up like I was terrified. All of a sudden, I started crying that I couldn’t even say anything to Nora.

"Pl......pleas.... drive us out of here" I said trembling.

"Ok", she squeezed my hands "It’s gonna be fine" as she switched over to the driver’s seat and turned on the ignition.

*****

"Ok babe, spill......what happened in there?" Nora gave me a questioning look as she kept pacing around the room.

I had not spoken a word to her since we got home.

Silence.

"Michelle, for heaven’s sake, it's been two hours and you're all still shaken. What happened in there? Did you by any chance see a ghost or probably uncover a secret"

She came and sat on the handle of the chair I had been sitting on with my knees raised up and my chin resting on in since I got back.

The tears had not seized coming down. She held my arms, "Mich, please say something. How long would you continue to cry in silence? You know I'm always here for you no matter what”

Silence.

Then my phone beeped on the dressing table where it had been on. Nora picked it up and handed it over to me "I think you've got a message". I still did not budge.

Then she decided to open and read it out. "I think it's from Morgan".

Immediately I snatched the phone from her hands and read the message.
"Ms. Jones, I think he's ready to talk with you"

********
Thanks for reading guys.. I hope you really enjoy it.

Dont forget to vote, comment, like and follow.

Thanks

Stay safe and healthy ❤