[37]

MICHELLE

The whole auditorium was filled to capacity as all BRENTARC staff gathered to hear what their CEO had to say, from the highest to the least employee.

The press were already set up ready to roll including the podium. The hall was noisy as persons were chattering and discussing in either groups of twos, threes or fours.

There were already rumours flying in from that morning concerning the bankruptcy of the company and termination of employees appointments.

Different kinds of people from different social classes were employed here, when you looked at them, you'll see people who practically depended on this job for survival.

I couldn't help it and started tearing up, if I could feel this way, then how much more Bryan, who had to call the shots. My heart was broken as I walked out of the big auditorium to Bryan's office.

Bryan was in a meeting earlier with the board of directors and shareholders, I guess they wanted to be briefed first before his big decision and announcement.

When I got in, he was standing and staring out of the windows with a glass of whisky in his hands. These few days had been very rough and tough for him, so I understood he needed the drinks to remain calm.

Millie was seated on the couch, pressing the laptop that was infront of her. I went over to where he stood and put my arms around his waist, he looked at my hand intertwined at his stomach and placed one of his on them.

"Its gonna be fine" I whispered,

"You think so?" he turned to face me breathing heavily.

"Yea, remember I'm with you all the way and together, we'll overcome this and much more" I reminded him.

"Ok". He nodded, but I could see sadness, pain and compassion in his eyes. I gave him a further assurance of hope as Millicent signalled him that it was time to break the news.

He put on the jacket of the grey suit he was wearing, as we were about leaving the office, he pulled me back and kissed me passionately.

"I will need this" he whispered innocently.

"Ofcourse" I chuckled before we stepped out.

******

I didnt want to stand by his side during his speech but he insisted. I didnt want it to look weird, though almost everyone knew we were dating but I didnt want people to see me differently especially at a time like this.

I just wanted them to know that I'm an employee just like them and will also be affected by the decision. So I told Bryan this but it was hard for him to let go of my hands, I know he needed me by him to be his support.

I walked over and sat on a seat close to an elderly woman. I observed she had a bandage over her legs. I couldnt ignore it so I spoke to her.

"Excuse me ma, what happend to your legs" I inquired compassionately.

she waived her hand in the air. "Oh it's nothing... just a slip and fall causing a fracture" she stammered.

"I'm so sorry".

"It's really nothing my dear" She gave me a half smile. "You see what is more important to me right now, is not losing my job, because I need this job, I need the money" She stressed hopelessly.

Then she went on about all her problems and challenges, how her husband's been in coma, her daughter just had a baby without a father and all of that.

What was I supposed to say, I just kept listening to her and feeling terrible within me because I also needed money urgently if not my mother's plug was gonna be pulled off.